The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-12-2003, 05:23 PM   #1
tinewelt
Haunting Spirit

tinewelt has just left Hobbiton.
Ring Aragorn vs. Denethor....???

just pondering another what if question....

When Denethor is going mad and talking with gandalf in Rath Dinen, he says
Quote:
So! With the left hand thou wouldst use me for a little while as a shield against mordor, and with the right bring up this Ranger of the North to supplant me. But I say to thee, Gandalf Mithrandir, i will not be thy tool! I am Steward of the House of Anarion. I will not step down to be the dotard chamberlain of an upstart. Even were his claim proved to me, still he comes but of the line of Isildur. I will not bow to such a one, last of a ragged house long bereft of lordship and dignity.
IF, for some reason Minas Tirith has stood and the battle won with Denethor still alive, what would have been the outcome? Does the people of Gondor follow their lord, or show loyalty to their king? There is much evidence to prove Aragorns claim, but I do not believe Denethor (because he said it) would have relinquished his command to him by choice. He showed no reverence or respect for the line of the kings. I guess it would also depend on which way Faramir would choose, his king or his father. Also, (if the people choose Aragorn) what is to be come of Denethor? He obviously could not resume the title of Steward. Would he be exiled, imprisoned or put to death? ( these are options that are hard to consider, but I do not believe Denethor would have continued to live under Aragorns rule, no matter what his status. Any thoughts?
tinewelt is offline   Reply With Quote