The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books > Chapter-by-Chapter
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-11-2005, 02:25 PM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
The Eye LotR -- Book 5 - Chapter 10 - The Black Gate Opens

With this chapter, we finish our discussion of Book 5! The narrative is taken up to the very final point, keeping the (first-time) reader in suspense before going back to catch up on the events concerning Frodo, Sam and Gollum in Book 6.

Interestingly, the account begins from the point of view of one character who does not go along. Merry must stay in Minas Tirith, still in need of healing, and feels horribly alone when all his friends leave. I find one detail interesting; here - and later at the Black Gate - Pippin is called "Peregrin" by Aragorn! That happens so seldom that it is noteworthy; I should think it's because of the 'official' role he plays here, as the only representative of the Shire and of his people.

The beginning also has one of those curious turns of phrase that sounds funny to us nowadays, though it was certainly not meant so; it has inspired some cartoon drawings that show Aragorn, Gandalf, the Dúnedain and Elrond's sons - in a van!

Rereading the passages describing the troops' journey to the Black Gate, I was conscious of details that I didn't remember from previous readings: the happenings at Osgiliath and the Crossroads, the debate about attacking Minas Morgul first, and the Orc/Easterling ambush. Nature and the weather are again described in ways that make them seem almost like living characters.

Once more Aragorn shows his excellent character and leadership ability in his handling of the men who are too afraid to carry on. He shows pity, not anger, and does not shame them, giving them "a manful deed within their measure" to accomplish. Not everyone in Middle-earth is a hero.

The central scene is the encounter with the Mouth of Sauron. The changes Peter Jackson made to this scene in the RotK EE DVD make the book passage all the more interesting! First of all, we are told that he is an ambassador. What do you make of the description of his horse? Is it a Horse-Wraith? We are told of his nature and background, at least enough to make discussions on that topic interesting.

I think the way Aragorn stands up to him, battling him with only his eyes, is much stronger than the movie's decapitation. Do you remember your first reading of this passage? Did you despair when Frodo's possessions were displayed? To see even Gandalf seemingly falter must have been the worst thing for those with him. Do you think he realized that Sauron would have acted differently if he had already possessed the Ring? Or would he still have toyed with his enemies?

Gandalf shows his strength briefly in taking the tokens from the Mouth of Sauron, but even then, there is no violence on his part. Yet the enemy ambassador fears him, Aragorn, and the Captains! Why?

Aragorn and his army prepare for battle - despite being so obviously outnumbered, they will not give up without a fight. After reading most of the passage as told by a neutral narrator, we return to a Hobbit point of view at the end of the chapter - Pippin's. It's interesting that he mentions understanding Denethor better at that point. Yet he stands up and fights despite his despair. He is given his opportunity for an heroic deed, killing the troll, though that causes his own fall. Did you think him dead when you first read this passage?

For those final moments, he is not speaking or even thinking himself - his thought appears to have become independent of him! It ends with a deja vu - the coming of the Eagles, and the thought of Bilbo, connecting this story with The Hobbit. What significance do you think that has?

I've only touched on what this chapter holds - which parts do you find most interesting? Which affect you the most powerfully?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote