The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2002, 01:04 PM   #1
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Silmaril Orcs, the unwanted people....

I was talking to a friend (Bilbo Baggins in Barrow-downs, although I doubt he's ever posted) earlier about Middle-earth, and this question came up: why are the orcs so underrated?

They are a "sub-species" (like hobbits), after all, coming from perverted (no, not that way....get your mind out of the gutter) elves, much as hobbits are probably the descendents of really short humans....but they've been around almost as long as the Elves and longer than the Dwarves, Men, and Hobbits.

The Orcs were made by Melkor, much as the Dwarves were made by Aulë. This should make them almost equal in standing, the only two races (not counting Ents) who were created by a Vala.

Seeing as how Orcs were the main servants of Sauron....why don't they have Rings of Power, like the Dwarves did? The Rings were made to corrupt the Free People, but they gave unimagined power to their wielders....having 5 (I picked the only remaining odd number) Super-Orc-Captains would've turned Dagorlad or the Siege of Barad-dûr around pretty nicely....and Sauron could've returned a lot sooner in the Third Age, in addition to having both Arnor and Gondor at their knees.

Thoughts?