User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-2004, 12:39 PM   #19
Arestevana
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arestevana has just left Hobbiton.
Elsa grimaced as the wagon bounced over an uneven patch of road. She shifted slightly in her seat to peer to the back of the wagon where the children sat, not being entirely able to quell the fear that one of them might have fallen out since she last checked. After all, it had been a rather bumpy five minutes.

Turning back around, Elsa turned her attention to Estella's sweet voice as it drifted back from the wagon just ahead. She was singing an old walking song, and it seemed to be having a very calming affect on the whole caravan. Elsa hummed along under her breath, having forgotten the words. Belatedly recalling the verse, Elsa pondered it quietly as the Estella began a festive melody that soon had those near her singing along.

The bright dawn approaches, the springtime sunrise,
As safe in sweet slumber my family lies,
While I go a-walking to farewell the night,
And greet on returning the clear morning light.

Elsa turned to peer over her shoulder again, regretting that her family was not as safe as the words of the song suggested. She straightened after assuring herself that both Crispin and Alora were still in the wagon. "Elsa," Kalimac said suddenly. "I've been meaning to ask you somthing." Elsa listened, becoming aware as he spoke that he, like her, was worrying about Alora and Crispin. She opened her mouth to speak, the thought better of it. As her husband outlined his idea to have younger folk watch out for the children, Elsa nodded enthusiastically, seeing the wisdom in his idea.

"Perhaps the Chubb children, May and Henry, could handle such an assignment. My question is, very simply, would you be entirely adverse to having May and Henry Chubb watch our children?” Kalimac finished, turning to see her responce. Elsa closed her mouth sharply, aware that she had been gaping.

May and Henry Chubb? But Kal, they're tweens! she protested silently. Tweens watching after our children? Why, May and Henry are practically children themselves... they'd be a bad influence on Alora and Crispin. Then another realization hit her. Oh no! Kal, you mean without...away... letting someone else take care of my babies?

Elsa opened and closed her mouth soundlessly, jarring her teeth when a particularly large bump caught her with her mouth open. She turned automatically to see if the children were alright. When she realized what she'd done, she forced herself to rethink the situation. Alora and Crispin weren't babies, they didn't need her constant attention. May and Henry were well-behaved and responsible, they would watch out for the younger children.

Finally Elsa turned to face Kalimac, forcing a strained smile. "You're right, of course, dear." she admitted reluctantly. "It's an excellent idea. I'm not at all opposed to it. Well, perhaps just a little." She amended, seeing his slight smile. He knew her too well to believe that. She leaned back into her seat and by a great effort managed to keep from turning around to check on the children. Sighing, she wondered what she had gotten herself into.

Last edited by Arestevana; 03-13-2004 at 12:44 PM.