Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-23-2004, 01:06 PM   #31
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Early Morning of the Departure

Rosco woke to the sound of the door quietly closing. The sky was still dark as he looked through the curtains in the small room he shared with his brother at Mausi’s house. His gaze fell on the empty bed next to his and he sat up sighing. Berilac had gone out, as he had most every night, to watch the stars twinkle and then fade with the coming of the day. Rosco, curious at his behavior, had gotten up with him the first day he had done this. ‘What draws you out in the chilly wee hours of the morning, brother,’ he had asked. For a moment Berilac had remained silent, his eyes watching the moon slip down westward to the rim of the world and dip below it.

‘It’s my assurance, brother,’ he said quietly his brown eyes fixed on the western horizon. ‘Day follows night, the stars lighting the way through the darkness.’ He was quiet again, bowing his head slightly toward the west as the first fingers of pale light crept up in the east, throwing his long shadow down the path before him.

This morning was no different. Rosco pulled on his breeches and grabbing his cloak from the peg by the door, went out to stand by his brother. Berilac’s face bore a trace of sadness, put away but barely at the approach of the other Hobbit. He nodded at Rosco, then looked back to the glittering stars. ‘Look there,’ he said softly, pointing to the north east, ‘where the head of Soronúmë as the Elves call it, peeks just over the horizon.’ Rosco’s eyes followed his brother’s finger to spy out the few stars showing of the great Eagle. ‘My newest bairn should just be born this day, brother,’ the Ranger continued in a low voice. ‘Were I that eagle I would fly away home straight away.’ Rosco offered no words of comfort, only drew his younger brother near, putting his arm about his shoulders as he had often done in their younger years.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The wagons roll out the West Gate

It had been a very long night. Three great wagons had all been loaded, and men and Hobbits stood knuckling their eyes, trying to drive the weariness from them. Most of Bree had turned out to see the wagons off. A few wanting to say good-bye to friends they had made and most curious to see the ‘outlanders’ close up.

The children led the way, ignoring the calls of their parents to stay close. Eager to see the friends they had made when the women and children had come from the encampment to stay at the Inn, they ran pell mell through the Gate, squeezing past the wagons that lumbered through like great beasts. Across the dike-way and rushing like leaves pushed by the wind they sought out the children they had met, hailing them with cries of ‘Hey’ from their smiling faces. The outland children were just as eager in their greetings, running forward against their parents pleas to be careful.

Peony with Pearl and Hanson sought out the two little sisters and their littler brother they had played with at the Inn. A napkin filled with candies and a few cookies was handed over to the departing trio, followed by hugs and smiles.

Kari’s red curls could be seen near one of the girls whose arm was in a sling. ‘I’ve brought you a little game to play – you know, the one we liked when you were at the Inn.’ The other girl’s eyes shone as he opened up the hinged wooden box – there inside were the red and black round pieces, and when the box was opened fully, it sat flat with a checkerboard pattern on it. She smiled shyly at Karianne, then gave her a great hug. Kari made her promise that she would bring it back to play a game should her family come back to Bree. Willowfain was there, too as were Rollo and Randy – their laughter bubbling up as they saw their friends once more. Fippi came running up also, starting a game of tag with his new friends and waving at Ella and Mondy to come play for a while.

Mondy broke away from the game of tag to seek out Ian. Still weak from his wound, he could not run out with the other children. ‘I’ve something for you,’ he told Ian, fishing into his breeches pocket. Mondy hauled out a small leather pouch tied up tightly at the neck with a leather thong. Ian reached out for the familiar bag, his eyes shining. ‘Hey!’ a voice piped up from beside Mondy. Grinning up at the boy, Mondy fished out a similar bag for him. ‘You must be Meri,’ he laughed. ‘Looks just like you said, Ian,’ he went on. ‘Though I don’t see the hop-toad resemblance you mentioned!’ Ian winced as his brother smacked him on the arm. Meri opened the little bag, taking out the rounded clay marbles, glazed in shades of brown. ‘That’s the “shooter”,’ said Ian as Meri held up one that was a little larger sized. ‘I’ll show you how to play at our first camp,’ Ian continued. Mondy leaned in close to Meri, ‘Don’t let him cheat on you, now. He likes to put his knuckle inside the line and that’s not allowed.’ Meri looked at Ian with a knowing look. Ian laughed and smacked Mondy on the arm. ‘Now I’ll have to play fair with Toad!’

Will hung back with the older, not wanting to be thought a child, but Berilac nudged him forward, saying he should say his goodbyes. Little Lily went with him, her eyes big at the group of outlanders gathered across the field. ‘It will be fine,’ Will assured her. ‘And look there, isn’t that your little friend? The one you gave the dolly to?’

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Soon the wagons, followed by the older folk of Bree came up to where the families from the North awaited them. There were more good-byes said then, between the women of the two groups and little baskets given over to see the folk on their way.

The men who would drive the wagons westward clambered up to their seats, waiting patiently for the final farewells to be said, and awaiting the signal from Lotar to go forward . . .

Esgallhugwen's post

For once Poppy had to keep up with Lily, who was eager to be one of first at Bree Gate, to say farewell to her new friend and, the rest of the refugees. Will was seen instantly by Lily, who rushed over to him, "Hello Will!", she smiled, weaving past him she was amazed to see a vast group of people before her.
No matter where she looked, poor Lily, couldn't find the friend she made at the Inn.

"Isn't that your friend. The one you gave the dolly to?", Will pointed out to Lily. She gasped in excitement and looked up at Poppy.

"Yes, you can go say hello", Poppy waved her on.
She ran up to her and said, "I nearly missed you. You really shouldn't hide behind a wagon, I couldn't see you", the girl smiled and giggled.

Lily was carrying a small basket of cookies and candy. She passed it on to her dark haired friend, "Don't eat all of it at once, you may not feel too great after; believe me, I know", she smirked.

Poppy smiled at Little Lily's friendly gesture. She spoke to Rosie, "I'm so relieved, I doubted for awhile if this would end peacefully. I was afraid for everyone, funny how things turn out for the best, maybe it is luck".

"Maybe it is, maybe it's how it was meant to be", Rosie replyed.

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-26-2004 at 10:24 PM.