Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-24-2002, 02:29 PM   #11
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Olo stood in the shadows of a great Oak tree when Holly found him, staring at Nardol as he sat eating one of the cakes Bethberry had given him. ‘The Elf’s leg must be quite painful.’ she murmured to herself, as she saw him move it gingerly to ease the strain on it. ‘I should take a look at it.’ was her next thought, but she recalled his sharp words to her and held back. She glanced at Olo, noting that his eyes fell not on the Elf as she had thought, but watched his horse as it walked about, cropping the meager grass in the camp.

‘A lovely creature, is it not.’ she remarked to him. ‘And with a fiery spirit to match his rider.’ Olo’s face was marked with a frown. ‘There’s something not quite right about his gait.’ he said low and to himself, his attention fixed on the horse as it walked in his direction. He whistled gently, and stepped into the sunshine, standing very still. He called the horse’s attention with soft words and sounds, his stance open and non-threatening, watching closely as the horse stepped in his direction.

‘It’s his left foreleg.’ he whispered to her. ‘A small problem now, but a hard one to deal with if it goes on much longer. Go back and leave me to see to him if he’ll allow it. You and Peri may put the wind up him if you stay, and I would not see him suffer any longer from something I can remedy.’