Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-11-2003, 12:11 PM   #11
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Fionel's eyes flickered upwards as the name of Shivana was called. It was not a familiar name to her, but she noticed Desolyn beside her stiffen slightly. She looked up to see the face of the Hunter as she turned to go and sit in the seats prepared for the Hunters; another way of making the slaves feel or seem inferior. But as she turned she flicked her long dark hair back and Fionel also felt herself stiffen slightly. This woman was indeed beautiful, with dark, waist length hair, tanned skin and big dark eyes, but in those eyes, Fionel could see the cruelty that was all too similar to that in Ranchard's eyes. In a flash she recognised this easterling as the one who had viciously murdered a child this morning. The woman looked down across the slaves, a sneer on her face. Fionel noted Desolyn staring back at her, but a lock of hair fell across her own eyes. For a second she felt the impluse to hide behind this, to not look into the eyes of this killer, but immediately she felt ashamed of it. Flicking her hair out of her eyes in a small movement, but with her head still down, she stared back at the woman. Shivana gave a small snort and walked to her place.

The next Hunter to be called was a man called Dorlas. Looking up to the balconies which hung almost over the platform, considered the best seats, and saw the young man on one of them stand, a broad, hard smile on his face. Not a surprise; it was the expression they all wore, a look that told how eager for the kill they were. But as Dorlas was about to descend to the platform, he bent over his wife, who had been sitting with him. He kissed her on the lips, then on the forehead, and squeezed her hand for a second longer before he descended. Now that was something that surprised Fionel; so some of these men and women did have emotions. And weak spots...

"Rhunnaro!" Ekatran called the next name. A small frown creased Fionels features. This wasnt right...she had heard them talking about Rhunnaro in the palace, and knew the man by sight. Indeed, she had said something careless about his situation when she was in the palace...something which had gotten her whipped and thrown out into the fields. There was the same muttering throughout the hall, the same turning of heads. But no one emerged. Something was not right here.

"Rhunnaro!" Ekatran once more called the name. "Come, we all know you are out there! Do you not want to take your place among the Hunters?"

Fionel looked up sharply at the Lord. She had heard the slightly mocking tone in his voice as he had said that, and it seemed by the titterings growing in the audience that she had not been the only one. A slight smile was on Ekatrans face.

"Are you a coward Rhunnaro?"

The gasp which came from Fionels mouth was mirrored by thousands all around the hall. That was the ultimate insult. Fionel glanced at Desolyn, who wore the same expression of surprise and thoughtfullness. She questioned Fionel with her eyes, but the other knew not how to reply. Then there was movement in the hall, and Fionel turned back to see the man she recognised as Rhunnaro stand up, his expression blank, but his fists clenched, she noted. But he was near the front of the hall, on the bottom floor, and was about ten metres from Fionel, so close she could see the anger in his eyes.

"Ah, there he is. Rhunnaro, I call you once again to join the Hunt."

"I will not Hunt this year, my Lord." The easterlings voice was quiet and quite mild.

"What?" Ekatrans reply was just as quiet, but menacing, his expression black. Rhunnaro took a deep breath, and Fionel could see he was shaking.

"I will not-" He started again, but then paused, looking at Fionel. Her eyes were intently on him. For a moment she could see him wondering if he recognised her, then he looked at Desolyn, whose face mirrored her own determination...and her own plea to him. He paused. Was that a nod? Fionel didnt have time to wonder before he nodded more definitely, at Ekatran this time.

"My Lord, I come."