Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2002, 02:50 PM   #1
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Gilthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting The Simian Shadow of Far Harad

OOC: Just couldn't resist starting an example RPG based on Kate's wonderful notion. Hopefully, this, and its companion thread SIMIAN SHADOW DISCUSSION, will help you get started with your own RPGs!
~Gilthalion

The stars were strange in Far Harad, and the Moon rode higher on his courses through the sky above that far south land, and the Sun was not kindly to the dry sands beneath her chariot by day.

The people of that far south land were gathering for war, and every man, woman, child, and beast was conscripted for the work of preparing for battle. Their old enemies, the cruel men of Gondor, would finally meet their fate at the hands of Sauron, Lord of Mordor.

This meant that the days of peaceful labor were over for the oliphaunts of the Oasis of Harad, where the grasslands of their birth met the sands of the blasted desert.

A pachyderm was loose again! The swertings were sweating, for this beast had been a trouble since before it had reached full size. She had an attitude and an itch, and she meant to scratch it.

They found her in the night by following the cries of the citizens living outside the city wall. There she was, trampling their vineyards, eating their grain, and finally, rubbing her massive backside against the unyielding sandstone walls of the oasis city.

A strangely talkative monkey in a nearby palm tree warned her that people were coming, "Look! Look! They come! Run! Hide!"

"Where can I hide, up your tree?" the oliphaunt laughed through her long nose. "No, I will wait for them here, and finish scratching."

A small mouse on the wall (safely above the pachyderm's massive backside!) watched intently. He had lived in his snug little mouse hole in the wall for several years, and loved the cultivated lands around about and the comings and goings of the strange folk under the strange stars. But he had been more than a little bored lately and was looking for adventure. It may have come in the shape of a great oliphaunt.

The big girl espied her handlers as they came, with their ropes and chains and the hated, hated, hooks...

[ April 26, 2002: Message edited by: Gilthalion ]