The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-28-2002, 08:58 AM   #1
Rhudladion
Haunting Spirit

Rhudladion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Hi Ho, Merry Dol...

In a thread on the movie forum, many comments have been made concerning Tom Bombadil's exclusion from the film. These comments struck a chord with some, and discussion was stirred concerning Tom Bombadil's importance/unimportance in the LOTR.
I am beginning this forum to continue that discusion, because I find it interesting, and because it has become out-of-scope in the thread it currently exists.
So..., with fear that this has probably already been discussed, I would like to say that I think TB is quite important in the book. Some have suggested that he plays an unnecessary role, and that he and GB are annoying. I couldn't disagree more: I think that Tom embodies a spirit of time; that is, he exists to show us that ME is a world that is not wrapped up wholly with the plight of the ring. Tom is the spokesman for a world that has existed before the Ring, and will exist after it. This is important because it makes a connection with the reader. It's as if Tom says to the reader, "Hey, ME is like the world you live in. You are just living a small part in the grand scheme of things. And this ring...nice little piece of gold you got there." TB makes ME, it's history, and it's future more realistic. He helps give the reader a sense of ME's vastness, and I think this makes the story all the more valuable.

Agree?...Disagree?
Rhudladion is offline   Reply With Quote