The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-18-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Lack of respect displayed by Gimli

I just noticed this recently - besides the fact that Gimli's character was highly tampered with in the films, and besides the fact that he stood on Balin's grave in Moria...there is another scene in which Gimli showed complete disrespect. It's in the scene "The Last Debate"...he is actually sitting on Denethor's vacant (although technically then Faramir's) throne! Unbelievable.

Why would PJ not care about showing some respect to the dead, especially Denethor? Do you think he thought it comical as he made Denethor a true madman in the films?

Once I caught this I was quite perturbed.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:01 PM   #2
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
Well...if they're going to put him standing on Balin's tomb, that makes sitting on the Stewards' Chair a little tame, doesn't it?

Gimli's pretty immature and disrespectful throughout the films...not really sure why, at all. I think they could have still gotten a lot of comic relief out of him without resorting to belching and the like.

Although I have to admit, maybe I'm just immature myself, but I chuckle everytime I see his belch in the midst of Theoden and Aragorn's tense exchange in TTT. It works perfectly to break the tension. Still doesn't mean it was the best thing to do, though...

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:22 PM   #3
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
That is one way to look at it Matthew.
Another way to look at it is that Gimli is a trained and hardened warrior who has been through it all before and knows that when battle and death face you nothing but survival means anything. If you have to climb up on a tomb to gain a tactical advantage, then so be it. Maybe that is some of the wisdom that comes with years of practical experience.

I agree with E&E that sitting on the chair is a bit tame.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:35 PM   #4
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron the White View Post
Maybe that is some of the wisdom that comes with years of practical experience.
Doubtful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Good grief! I have seen some nits picked in my time here, but this must nick the prize for pick of the nitpicks ...

Alatar would be proud of you.
Sir, I am King of Nit picking. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:06 AM   #5
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
And whatever one thinks of Denethor, even movie-Denethor, it was by that time Faramir's chair!
Old 01-19-2008, 07:29 AM   #6
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
This seems to be the perfect time for a Saturday Night Live sketch gently poking fun at .....

never mind.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:24 PM   #7
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Not only is it unfair to the character of Gimli (a helpless and unwilling victim in the hands of the screenwriters), but it's also unfair to the audience. My sense of humor extends far beyond belching and drinking.

I didn't mind Gimli sitting in the Steward's Chair as much as I mind the comic relief Gimli, but I agree, it's still out of place and doesn't really make sense if you think about it. It's unlikely that Aragorn would have allowed it.

If anyone had the right to stand on Balin's Tomb, it would have been Gimli - not that I think he should, or would have in ordinary circumstances. If you think about it, Gimli was only standing on the tomb in order to protect it, to kill any nasty goblins that dared approach it or defile it. Not only that, but he was putting himself in the center of the battle, exposed, for the sake of Balin's Tomb. So, I would argue that Gimli was in fact showing a great deal of respect (in that case), and perhaps more that Balin would have expected.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:11 PM   #8
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
If anyone had the right to stand on Balin's Tomb, it would have been Gimli - not that I think he should, or would have in ordinary circumstances. If you think about it, Gimli was only standing on the tomb in order to protect it, to kill any nasty goblins that dared approach it or defile it. Not only that, but he was putting himself in the center of the battle, exposed, for the sake of Balin's Tomb. So, I would argue that Gimli was in fact showing a great deal of respect (in that case), and perhaps more that Balin would have expected.
My sentiments exactly. Although it is a little wierd to say that Gimli was defyling Balin's tomb when we saw Gimli weeping over Balin when he realized he was dead. A very sad moment.

As for Gimli sitting on Denethor's chair, I don't see any lack of respect. Since we are taking things from a movie perspective it is only fair to say that Denethor was a madman. He ignored good council from Gandalf and chose not to listen to Pippin's plea's for him not to burn his own son alive! Why would you show that man any respect?
Old 01-18-2008, 06:47 PM   #9
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
It's not the man, it's the office and all that it represents.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:05 PM   #10
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Good grief! I have seen some nits picked in my time here, but this must nick the prize for pick of the nitpicks ...

Alatar would be proud of you.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:25 PM   #11
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
It's not the man, it's the office and all that it represents.
Well if you want to talk about disgracing the office than take a good look at Denethor. He nearly brought Gondor to it's doom! Besides, if it was really all that bad, why didn't Aragorn, Gandalf, Eomer, or Legolas say something? A friendly "Hey, you really shouldn't be doing that Gimli."