The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-31-2007, 12:10 PM   #1
Mansun

Question The scariest characters in the LOTR?

The scariest characters/creatures in the LOTR? Is it:-

The Balrog of Morgoth?

Sauron?

The Witch King (Nazgul)?

Gandalf?

The King of the Dead?

Saruman?

The Mouth of Sauron?

An Oliphaunt?

Tree Beard?

The Watcher in the Water?

Shelob?

The Uruk-Hai?

Last edited by Mansun; 04-01-2007 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:13 PM   #2
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
Eru, he's a scary blighter... wouldn't want to mess with him...
Old 03-31-2007, 12:28 PM   #3
Mansun

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewhoarisesinmight
Eru, he's a scary blighter... wouldn't want to mess with him...
Eru is not from the LOTR strictly speaking . . . . can you think of a time in the book where he is mentioned?
Old 03-31-2007, 12:31 PM   #4
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
Good point, isn't he mentioned in the appendices somewhere... I dunno.

If you're talking about the book, I do get a very creepy feeling when ever the Nazgul are mentioned
Old 03-31-2007, 12:46 PM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Opinion threads go on the Novices and Newcomers forum - I'm moving this one there. Please continue to read and post at the new location - thanks!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:05 PM   #6
Mansun

My vote goes to either the Balrog of Morgoth or Sauron.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:21 AM   #7
Mansun

Sting

Oliphaunts are pretty scary considering their size. What if one decided to land it's foot on the Witch King & crush him?
Old 04-06-2007, 12:04 PM   #8
LjösÁlfr

Tolkien

I'd say the Barrow-Wights... Not much explaining to be done, the whole discription fo them unto me just seemed scary.

As all of you af course now they are based upon the Old Norse mythological creature's called "Draugar". (Singular = Draugr). Origenally the Nazgul were barrow-wights as well, which would mean that the Nazgul are based upon Draugar as well, although there's not much to be seen back about that.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:37 PM   #9
Celegost
Pile O'Bones

Celegost has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Celegost
Shield

The Nazgul or the Barrow-Wights
Actually, the Balrog (Durin's Bane) Is pretty scary because he's so mysterious; after the Dwarves in Moria were all killed no-one knew what had happened to them, so when The Fellowship were travelling through Moria you didn't know what to expect...

Last edited by Celegost; 04-06-2007 at 12:50 PM.
Celegost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:23 PM   #10
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The 1,000 Reader is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansun
Oliphaunts are pretty scary considering their size. What if one decided to land it's foot on the Witch King & crush him?
He'd live. Granted getting stepped on would totally suck, but he'd live.

On the subject of oliphaunts, I never saw them as scary. They were first portrayed as rather innocent creatures in Samwise's song, and I only saw them as elephants.
"And forth went Morgoth, and he was halted by the elves. Then went Sauron, who was stopped by a dog and then aged men. Finally, there came the Witch-King, who destroyed Arnor, but nobody seems to remember that."

-A History of Villains
The 1,000 Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:09 PM   #11
Mansun

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 1,000 Reader
He'd live. Granted getting stepped on would totally suck, but he'd live.

On the subject of oliphaunts, I never saw them as scary. They were first portrayed as rather innocent creatures in Samwise's song, and I only saw them as elephants.
I believe Gandalf said spells can be broken by great strength, so I could not say for definite that he'd still live. It depends on what you think 10 tonnes could do to even a spell-protected creature.

Oliphaunts in rage are as deadly as anything, so they can inspire great panic in the ranks of soldiers, regardless of which side. A close look at them shows a burning desire to cause damage - these are no sweet animals like elephants you see in the zoo!

I have found the subject of graveyards, ghosts & the undead the most chilling & fearful topic of all. The Dead Mountain is more or less an ancient graveyard, with the King of the Dead the ghost-like guardian. Quite terrifying stuff if you put it in context with the 3 Hunters going it alone into the unknown. Seems like a fitting home for the Nazgul too.

Last edited by Mansun; 04-06-2007 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:16 PM   #12
LjösÁlfr

Tolkien

Well, Elephants can be great in earthly wars as well. The Persians and several Asian nations have what we call war-elephants. Alexander the Great is supposed to have coped with these elephants.

And to how they might be scary, well, several Latin texts state that Phyrrus (A Greek having war with the Romans) had brought an Elephant with him to Itali to scare the Roman Commander. And according to the text I had to translate about it at school, they were pretty damn scary in the eyes of the Romans....
Old 04-06-2007, 08:16 PM   #13
Isabellkya
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Isabellkya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I can't really say that I was terribly scared by any of the characters in the books.. if I had to choose.. I would probably say the Nazgul.. they were more creepy than scary.
I didn't find Shelob scary.. mainly because I kind of like spiders... well I don't mind them.. but they don't scare me... even giant ones.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:55 PM   #14
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dűm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansun
Well, the Witch-King had the raw power to drive his servants mad, couldn't he just raise a hand or scream or something and get away?

I think that the scariest places for me when I FIRST read the book (about 10 years old) were the places that it really seemed like there was no way out. The Balrog wasn't that scary to me because you knew Gandalf was going to finish it off. But in that chapter, I find the 'drums in the deep' very disturbing. Just as we finished reading about how the dwarves were trapped and killed, we get the same drums. Scary.

Other places that made me scared were the Barrow-Wights (until Tom came, which was a relief, let me tell you!) the lair of Shelob, Boromir attacking Frodo, anywhere past the Fellowship of the Ring involving Nazgul and Frodo and Sam, when the wolves closed in around them on the hilltop, the Nazgul that Legolas shoots down and was described as "a shadow [like] the Balrog", when Frodo was captured by the enemy (I really thought Sam would go it alone then) and Pippin saving Faramir.

Sorry, not so much characters as scenes.

Places that I didn't get scared in include: Balrog vs. Gandalf, Lorien (Galadriel), the King of the Dead (I was a bit lost at this point) and Saruman wasn't really scary either.
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:18 PM   #15
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sixth Wizard
Other places that made me scared were the Barrow-Wights (until Tom came, which was a relief, let me tell you!)
Yup, deffinitely!