The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-05-2007, 06:10 AM   #1
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Question Largest mountain range in ME

Now I have always believed that the Misty Mountains are the largest mountain range in ME, and I think I had seen a quote sometime that said that. But somehow I can't find that proof anymore, and I'm uncertain...

So...what is it ?
Old 01-05-2007, 12:01 PM   #2
Amras Oronar

Amras Oronar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Amras Oronar
If you look at the map I'd say that indeed the Misty Mountains are the biggest, but I don't think I ever red anything about it. I never really wondered about this before...so maybe I have red about it but forgotten it? ah well, I'd say they are the biggest
Amras Oronar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:18 PM   #3
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Do the Ash Mountains surround Mordor? Because then they'd be challenging.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:46 PM   #4
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
They don't, the Ash Mountains are just west-eastern line and the north-south line which is is Ephel Dúath.

The highest mountains in Middle-Earth were Ered Engrin in the First Age, and if the Iron Hills and Grey Mountains were originally a part of them (as it is often speculated, and it is very much possible), they'd be possibly also the largest in the terms of length. However, after the destruction of Beleriand, concerning the length of the mountain range, the Hithaeglir still wound't be the greatest. They were about 700 miles long from north to south, including the mountains of Angmar in the measurement, but the White Mountains were larger in that point - according to Karen Wynn Fonstad's Atlas, they were 852 miles long. And the Ered Luin in the First Age, before the destruction of Beleriand, were more than 900 miles long, thus larger than Hithaeglir even if you didn't count Ered Engrin.

Of course you asked about Middle-Earth, by which I do not mean Aman - otherwise it'd be Pelóri.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:12 PM   #5
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thumbs up

the Walls of the Sun would however probably have a similar length as we know they were raised in the East as an opposite to the Pelori in the far west

anyway, thank you for the information, I guess I never thought that the White Mountains include Ras Morthil as well...
if it so, they probably are longer then the Misty Mountains, still if I take a better look, the Ered Nimrais probably are longer
Old 01-05-2007, 01:24 PM   #6
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Yeah, the part of Andrast counts as well - and if you look at it, it's really long then. The part of the Mountains of the Sun you mentioned is right as well. I could also add that we have no information about the length of Orocarni - the Mountains of the East, where Cuiviénen was. I don't know if they survived the First Age or other cataclysms (the drowning of Númenor, specifically), but I'd guess they also wouldn't be as short.

Nevertheless, I think the Hithaeglir was possibly the highest at least of all the mountains showed on the LotR map.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote