The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-20-2006, 07:54 AM   #1
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien Tolkien Events 2007

It's time to start thinking about next year, the 30th anniversary of the publication of the Silmarillion, and naturally, there are events planned. Here is a list of some interesting ones, including a course by Colin Duriez (who lectures in Tolkien at University of Central Lancashire) in Keswick and an interesting event run by Heren Istarion (no, not that H-I, but the US based smial) in Brooklyn, New York.

Any more delights to add to a list?

I doubt there will be another 'Oxford Tolkien Conference' as the expensive one put on at Exeter College last year was I hear very sparsely attended (as few as 30 from someone I know who went) and the general 'theme' did not go down well.

Of course, Oxonmoot will be on again, this time from 14th -16th September, but in Lady Margaret Hall where its to be hoped they get the food quantities correct at the banquet and actually do have some quiet bedrooms this year. This is incidentally where Priscilla went and Tolkien rated the college highly above the other women's colleges. It's more out of town, but near the river and also has parking so no need to add to greedy Branson's pockets by travelling on his cruddy trains. You will also get to meet me, davem, narfforc and hopefully Mithalwen again. Temptation enough, methinks.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:03 PM   #2
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Indeed, you have the wrong chap there, yer honour, it ain't me, never been there, never done that... I know, I know, I've been framed, yer honour, now haven't been I?...

To be honest, I was surprised to find that herenistarion@yahoo.com has been taken when I opted for one 6 years back, as I've only found about NY HerenIstarion (herenistarion.org, I believe) only following the nick choice for the Downs forum, not prior to aforesaid choice

Though I doubt I'll be able to come over for Oxonmoot (though I know I will one day), I'll be hunting news and would be glad to read reports by those of us to attend the events

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:23 PM   #3
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Boots Quick! Surround Africa!

I am a tad disappointed to see so few events taking place in Merry ol' England. Oh well. I can say, quite firmly, that I shall be going to Oxonmoot this year... yes. Not even if Satan himself and his demonic hordes try to stop me.

Maybe I was a tad too over eager.

But yes. If there is news on British events, you know, ones that folks like me can actually go to, then I'd appreciate it and give onto thee many piles of gold and such.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:31 PM   #4
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
DVWP I shall go to Oxonmoot at least for the day again.. may even stay up though I am not sure that having had the in hall experience I won't opt for the travelodge - v handy for Wolvercote.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:17 PM   #5
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thumbs up

Mr Hookbill - those are only the ones the TS have advertised. Thinking about it, there must be some more as I read about some not that long ago. I shall have to go and consult me source and get some more posted up...

Now Oxonmoot is exceedingly student friendly as it's quite simply cheap! Even cheaper if you join the TS (£20 a year and you also get both Amon Hen and Mallorn sent to your house, fab journals both). The accommodations can be made even cheaper by opting not to have certain meals in college, and of course college bars are reasonable too for the essential pint. It's also got that lovely Dealers' Room....and where else can you pranny about like a Hobbit or a Balrog? You have to come along as then there will be three Lancastrians in the gang. Could go to the party as Bert, Tom and William.

No need to go for Travelodge Mithalwen, as if you stay, you get Enyalie thrown in for free, coaches will take you to Wolvercote. I thought at first it might not be nice going to Tolkien's grave in a group but its wonderful. Everyone has time to pay respects and sharing in the remembrance is really touching.

Anyway, no way could any room be worse than the one I had at Somerville. Concrete block with blood stained curtains and school-style shared toilets. No lift and on the third floor. Not good when full of cider but I was lucky enough to have thought on to bring along me manservant to carry me bags. And I'm taking Industrial earplugs.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:24 PM   #6
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
No need to go for Travelodge Mithalwen, as if you stay, you get Enyalie thrown in for free, coaches will take you to Wolvercote. I thought at first it might not be nice going to Tolkien's grave in a group but its wonderful. Everyone has time to pay respects and sharing in the remembrance is really touching.

Actually was thinking more that thravelodge would have private bathroom and a bigger bed and telly - probably wouldn't do Enyalie anyway since though I was moved going to the grave I feel I wouldn't want to go in a group..seems a bit odd... but hte travel lodge is also handy for nipping up to Bicester Village or up to have a walk round the grounds of Blenheim palace....

actually you are beginning to put me off .... I have just remembered the foot wig people ....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote