The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-02-2006, 08:25 PM   #1
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Pipe Numenorean Likenesses

Now, I wil admit that I haven't done any reasearch to see if there's a thread similar to this ( ) so if there is, please feel free to add any link and what not. Also, If this thread shouldn't be hear, please be my guest and move it.

As I was watching television a little while ago, a sudden thought burst into my mind: are we going to end up like the Numeanoeran's? But before you answer, I want you to give what I'm about to say some thought.

The Numen's (for short), at the end of their ruling, became greedy and violent. All of this was influenced by the works of Sauron. Can we base our lives today on that simple little fact? It is human nature to be greedy, and, as we are told (or some of us believe) the war in Iraq was started by Bush over oil (that is a general thought amongst many people I know). Is it possible that, because of this and other factors that can arise as well as the human nature of greed, is it possible that we ourselves would end up destroying the earth we live in over that one little word? We've already destroyed Iraq over it (and other reasons as well), will we end up doing this to our world (by we, I mean mankind in entirety)?

Last edited by Glirdan; 06-03-2006 at 01:04 PM.
Glirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:52 PM   #2
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
This glob of dust may be here for a long time, in some form or other, whether the human race as we know will is another matter, maybe sometime in the future seven spaceships may escape this madness and find peace on a planet to be named Middle-earth, the problem is we are cursed with the Pandora's Box syndrome and how will we purge ourselves of our base instincts, will we transport our disease across the universe or will mankind grow up one day and become Elven.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:17 AM   #3
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
There is a similarity in the growing arrogance and greed
of Numenoreans in their prosperity and relative safety
from Middle-earth travails, and the arrogance and greed
of, mainly but not exclusively, the curent American
Republican ruling establishment toward the world outside the U.S.
America's relative (despite 9/11 when compared
to, say, Europe) safety and ability to project power to the
other regions of earth is remarkably similar to the Numenoreans.
Perhaps regular elections might have saved Numenor?
Old 06-03-2006, 11:31 AM   #4
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Quote:
Perhaps regular elections might have saved Numenor?(Tuor)
Ah! Democracy! What a wonderful solution. Who knows? Maybe it would have saved them.

Quote:
This glob of dust may be here for a long time, in some form or other, whether the human race as we know will is another matter, maybe sometime in the future seven spaceships may escape this madness and find peace on a planet to be named Middle-earth, the problem is we are cursed with the Pandora's Box syndrome and how will we purge ourselves of our base instincts, will we transport our disease across the universe or will mankind grow up one day and become Elven.(narfforc)
This is an interesting theory that I myself actually thought of. It all depends who departs in those space ships now doesn't it? We cannot send the VIP's (aka, the President of the States, the Prime-Minister of Canada, the Queen of England [although that probably wouldn't be a bad choice]) as the same greed and power will travel with them and all the others, just as it would have been if Ar-Pharazôn would have departed for Middle-Earth instead of Valinor. But if we (by we, I mean us Downer's [for the most part]), just like Eärendil, departed on those ships instead of the VIP's, would we be able to stem the greed and arrogance?

Last edited by Glirdan; 06-03-2006 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:04 PM   #5
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
Well, I dont see the need to bash Bush, and for that matter I do not know why politics is being discussed.
But yeah, I would not mind becoming and elf...
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 01:07 PM   #6
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Ninja, I'm not bashing just Bush (although I really don't like the guy), I'm maknig an inquiry(sp?) about our lives! Look at it this way: we know that the Professor incorporated WWII as well as many other symbolic representations (such as religion and science). How do we know that he didn't incorporate mankind's foolishness, greed and arrogance?

Last edited by Glirdan; 06-12-2006 at 08:59 PM.