The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

View Poll Results: Civilization you belong to:
African 0 0%
Buddhist 1 1.25%
Hindu 0 0%
Japanese 0 0%
Islamic 0 0%
Latin American 2 2.50%
Orthodox 7 8.75%
Sinic 0 0%
Western 63 78.75%
Other 7 8.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2006, 09:05 AM   #1
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Public Research: Civilizations

This survey is a supplementary to Public Research: Religion thread and leans mainly on definition and classification of Civilizations as provided by Samuel. P. Huntington in his The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order. According to Huntington, after the end of Cold War the world has entered the new stage of development, and is no more politically bipolar, but contains several civilizations competing with each other. Leaving competition out, as it is not of interest in this survey, I’d like to learn what Civilizations Tolkien readers (as represented in this here board) belong to.

Civilization as used here means relation/unity of language, religion and culture.

Western Civilization includes U.S., Canada, EU, Australia and New Zealand (excluding Greece)
Latin American is self-explanatory, however, Latin American is not clearly separated from Western, so, if one feels oneself better placed in one or the other, one is free to do so.
African excludes North African Arabic countries, as these are parts of Islamic Civilization
Sinic includes China and its circle of influence, excluding Tibet
Hindu is largely contained within single country – India, as well as Japanese contains Japan
Orthodox views Russia as the core state and includes European and Oriental countries where Orthodox Christianity is the mainstream confession.
Buddhist includes Tibet, Mongolia and countries in the South-East Asia outside of China’s circle

‘Other’ is for those who don’t agree with classification and/or adhere to their own, or for those who are cosmopolitan and view themselves citizens of the Galaxy, or find it hard to place themselves due to other considerations. I do not, however, invite you discuss different classifications - the survey is supplementary to one linked to above, as was said

This survey does not inquire about your living place. One may live in Islamic country and consider oneself belonging to Buddhist Civilization (or any other dichotomy of your choice). Countries are listed merely as an indication of places where Civilizations as listed are dominant.

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:57 AM   #2
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
I voted "other." Out of those listed, I would consider myself Western with Hindu heritage but... well, to be honest, I think the whole breaking down into civilisations is stupid. Citizen of the World.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:12 AM   #3
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I votet western, but I don't think that I share culture wiht Portugal and even the us. (I don't like defining the us. as one culture)There are just so hughe differences. Maybe frome an outsider they seem alike, I don't know.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 11:15 AM   #4
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I live in Yorkshire, but can we call it civilised? (taking advantage of davem being ill and reviving some regional friction.... ).
Old 01-22-2006, 02:36 PM   #5
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Western.

I am a Canadian, of European ancestry, of a strong Catholic faith, affluent by international (albeit not local) standards. My cultural influences are those of Britain, America, Germany, and Italy.

The only extent to which I would say that I'm somewhat of another group is that I have ancestors (albeit German Catholics) who lived in Russia for a century and a half, and the stronger, more traditional faith typical of the "Orthodox" countries is rather more evident in my family than in most Western, secular, homes.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:58 PM   #6
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Even though my siggie is somewhat of a joke, I am from Latin America... the only problem is that either you consider most countries in Latin America as their own civilization or you consider all of them western. My differences with someone from Mexico are probably just as big as my differences with someone from Spain. (I'm using those examples as in both countries Spanish is the first language and one is Latin American while the other Western)

Yet if I need to choose, I'll say I'm Latin American. It's more of a concept of self-definition rather than a clearcut concept.