The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books > Chapter-by-Chapter
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-21-2006, 05:00 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
1420! The Hobbit - Chapter 02 - Roast Mutton

The second chapter jumps right into the action! It begins in the familiar safety of Bilbo’s home, and within a short time the dwarves and Bilbo are in danger of losing their lives.

Bilbo’s feelings are a mixture of relief and disappointment when he sees that the dwarves have left his home. Apparently, politeness is important to hobbits, for again he is aggravated at not receiving thanks for his hospitality – unjustly so, as we find out later. ‘Second breakfast’ is mentioned as a meal, for those who want some Hobbit lore. The travel requisites mentioned also enrich our picture of everyday Hobbit life.

The adventure begins cheerfully, becomes uncomfortable, and then dangerous. The first of Gandalf’s mysterious disappearances occurs – deux ex machina just to give him the opportunity to rescue them in the nick of time? The story element of a seemingly welcoming fire that turns into a threatening situation is a familiar fairy tale device.

For the first time, Bilbo’s presence gives the dwarves a reason for going into a situation in a rather foolhardy manner, thinking him a skilled burglar. Does it seem odd to you that experienced and battle-hardened dwarves such as these should be so foolish as to get caught, and so cowardly as to push Bilbo ahead of themselves?

The trolls are a race also typical for fairy stories. Do they fit into Middle-earth? What do you think of the way they’re described, their language – and their names? What do you make of William’s sympathetic attitude toward Bilbo?

Then comes the passage that is the source for what has to be one of the coolest Tolkien nicknames there is – burrahobbit! Our member of that name used several quotes from these pages in his signature for a long time –
Quote:
What’s a burrahobbit got to do with my pocket, anyways?

No burrahobbits, but lots of these here dwarves.
We read a nice play on words from Bilbo, about cooking better than he cooks. Then comes the trolls’ argument, with Gandalf’s help, and the dwarves are saved by the dawn’s early light. Some good comes of this adventure – food for their immediate needs, and gold to be recovered later. Three swords are also part of the spoils, and they will play an important part not only in this story, but in LotR as well.

The chapter ends, all’s well and Gandalf tells of a safe haven to which they look forward.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 10:00 AM   #2
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
An interesting question here is whether Tolkien should
have removed more of the non-Middle-earthish
language and items in TH and the narrator
asides to the reader. It's noted in the Annotated
Hobbit and in Letters that some of these were
removed/changed, but that (I believe) Tolkien
wished he had altered more.
One I'm of (perhaps somewhat like Gollum/Smeagol)
of two minds of is the trolls language. Should it have
been made more like orcs in LOTR?

The difference in dwarf mentality and
behavior is, of course, a clear delineation of
differences between TH and LOTR.
To some extent, Tolkien sought to
reconcile them in Unfinished Tales in the
chapter "The Quest of Erebor."
Old 01-22-2006, 03:37 AM   #3
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
This has always been one of my favourite chapters in The Hobbit. The trolls are just such nice folk.

Gandald shows his smartness once again and the problem starts because of Bilbo. This emphasizes well their roles at this part of the book.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 01:38 PM   #4
Alchisiel
Haunting Spirit

Location: At The Golden Perch enjoying the best pint in the East Farthing!
Alchisiel has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

This is a favorite chapter of mine also. But I have to disagree with Thinlómien regarding that the fix they get in is entirely Bilbo's fault. I know that it was he that tried to pilfer something from the troll's pocket but it was Thorin and Company that grew impatient and didn't check things out before approaching. I know I would have!! I love the cunning of Gandalf in this chapter!! I can just see him lying among some rocks or in a bush near the trolls with one hand next to his mouth throwing his voice.

I don't know if the trolls fit in with Middle-Earth or not but I do enjoy this chapter so I'm inclined to say yes. I always thought that their names were rather common compared to names like Gandalf, Bilbo, Thorin and the like. I think I've actually dated a William or Tom in my day but I wish I hadn't. They seem to me crude, rough, not refined at all. What I get from William's attitude is that he would almost like to make Bilbo a pet.

The next time I'm grabbed by trolls I'll try to remember to keep them busy until the sun comes up as I am very like a hobbit-short, fat in the middle, but no hair on my feet!!
Old 01-23-2006, 02:57 PM   #5
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm not altogether fond of this chapter because it still leaves me feeling slightly disturbed, even after all these years. Am I alone in finding it truly dark and disturbing?

It begins with Bilbo being rushed from his home against his will, he is bullied by the Dwarves into getting himself into a dangerous situation and ends with him having gone through torment by the trolls. What can be more disturbing than the very real threat od being eaten? The way that the trolls discuss how to cook the Dwarves is horrible, especially when they wonder whether to mince them. Ugh.

Something new about this passage struck me though. When they go to the Trolls' cave to see what they have there, they take away food. Are these the same trolls who have killed and eaten people? What kind of meat might they have stashed away in that cave? They certainly have the spoils they have taken from their victims, but I think I'd avoid the meat!
It reminds me of the gory and probably exaggerated tale of the Scottish cannibal family the Sawney Beans.

I did have to laugh that due to Bilbo's being rushed out of the house he forgot something very important, which Gandalf then brought along for him. His pipe.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:58 PM   #6
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Lal, I'd guess that the chapter title gives us a clue as to the kind of meat the trolls had left over. After all, it was all they'd had during the past days:
Quote:
Mutton yesterday, mutton today, and blimey, if it don't look like mutton again tomorrer...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 04:32 PM   #7
deal_with_it
Animated Skeleton

deal_with_it has just left Hobbiton.
Troll's unclaimed treasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
I'm not altogether fond of this chapter because it still leaves me feeling slightly disturbed, even after all these years. Am I alone in finding it truly dark and disturbing?

It begins with Bilbo being rushed from his home against his will, he is bullied by the Dwarves into getting himself into a dangerous situation and ends with him having gone through torment by the trolls. What can be more disturbing than the very real threat od being eaten? The way that the trolls discuss how to cook the Dwarves is horrible, especially when they wonder whether to mince them. Ugh.

Something new about this passage struck me though. When they go to the Trolls' cave to see what they have there, they take away food. Are these the same trolls who have killed and eaten people? What kind of meat might they have stashed away in that cave? They certainly have the spoils they have taken from their victims, but I think I'd avoid the meat!
It reminds me of the gory and probably exaggerated tale of the Scottish cannibal family the Sawney Beans.

I did have to laugh that due to Bilbo's being rushed out of the house he forgot something very important, which Gandalf then brought along for him. His pipe.
What I always remembered about this chpater was how Thorin orders his dwarves to bury the treasure to fetch upon their return. Well, they don't return, so is the treasure still buried there? Or does someone collect it that we aren't aware of?

I thought the whole point of the Quest was to regain Erebor. Why WOULD they return?

Lastly, why didn't they stay over in Bree rather than camp out in the Wilds? Or were they well passed Bree by this point?
deal_with_it is offline   Reply With Quote