The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-13-2005, 06:16 PM   #1
Turin Turumbar

Who was the most foolish ruler of all?

This thread probably won't go too far, but just curious. What are your nominations for the most foolish rulers of all time in any of the books and how so?

There are several, but these are my top personal pics:

-Ar-Pharazon, last king of Numenor. For bringing the enemy home, and leading to the downfall of Numenor.

-Earnur, last king of Gondor (pre Aragorn) for riding foolishly into Minas Morgul for a duel with the lord of the Nazgul while accompanied only by a small group.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:58 PM   #2
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
I'll second Ar-Pharazon. Though I suppose that anyone could be taken in by really good diplomacy. But it would have to be incredibly good to get anywhere with me.... Not that I'm flaunting that, or anything.

Denathor wasn't the brightest bulb during his last yeras, either, though. But Ar-Pharazon takes the cake, in my opinion.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:19 PM   #3
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'll have to vote Melkor. I do have reasons before you castrate me!

1) He lost most (if not all) his power very early on and became a very weak individual. To try and rule in that state would be folly.

2) His shear pig-headed ness and soberness makes him rash and easily distracted from matters of importance.

3) People would revolt and cast him down eventually.

4) His only real leader qualities are in military strategy. When it comes down to matters of governing, I think he'd be poor.

I believe, if he ever became ruler of anything more than Angband and his other lands, he would soon realise how foolish he'd been. Not that he would admit it as Manwe would say "Ha ha! I was rite! You were wrong Nah, Nah!"
Old 05-14-2005, 04:39 PM   #4
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I would actually say that Fëanor was one of the most foolish leaders. He had great power to influence people and yet he used it to estrange his people from the power he needed to actually accomplish his purpose. Meaning the separating himself from the Valar. He used his influence and power to insight evil deeds, the Kinslaying being one of the most fiendish. Much like Hookbill said of Melkor he is so consumed with himself that he doesn't look to his own people. He led his own in his quest to get his jewels back. He drew a wedge among his followers by abandoning a host of his followers to either return in shame to Aman, stay and die, or attempt to cross Helcaraxë when he needed all the help and support he could get. And let's not forget about that little oath of his and it's wonderful outcomes.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:56 PM   #5
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Hmm... I hadn't thought about Melkor, Hookbill, but you've got a good point.

You too, mormegil. Feanor certainly wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer..
Old 05-14-2005, 09:42 PM   #6
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

I would disagree with Denethor. He was a man as Tolkien said became corrupted by politics, but he was quite good at what he did. All the more amazing still remaining to keep sanity (for the most part) while viewing the palantir for 40+, dealing with the death of his wife and son, and his other dying son, as well as seeing his kingdom on the verge of destruction. But, that's just a matter of differing opinions, it's definitely easier to dislike Denethor, then it is to like him.

I would vote Fengel. Just because he wasn't very well liked. He caused strife with his marshal's, his own son hated him so much he went to Gondor and was reluctantly returned back after his father died to take his place. He loved gold, cared nothing for friends. Sounds very stupid to me, and quite foolish.