The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-13-2004, 02:34 PM   #1
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Changing accents?

I have recently (well not recently actaully but today was the first time someone agreed with me!) noticed that during the films the accents of the main characters - especially Aragorn - change.

For example when he is at the Black Gate and he does the
"Let the Lord of the Black Land come forth!"
bit he goes very very American.

And earlier (might be in the Fellowship EE) when the stop for the night at Weathertop he says
"We will rest here tonight"
and his accent goes really Welsh.

Anyone else noticed this or found other examples of it with Aragorn or other characters?
Old 10-13-2004, 03:38 PM   #2
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Sting

As a matter of fact I have noticed, especially with Aragorn, and occasionally Sam. But remember, Viggo Mortensen and Sean Astin are American, and the accents are fakes. I think that one would forget to speak with an accents at times. I was in a play once, and played a pirate captain. I had a huge speaking part, and I would be so busy trying to get all of the lines right, I would completely forget about my British/Pirate accent. It happens.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:45 PM   #3
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I have noticed the same thing with Viggo Mortensen -- it's all in his R's. He does do a very American R in "Let the Lord of the Black Land come forth!" and also in FotR "...yourself, Mister Underhill." Every R there is Americanized too, made somewhat harsher and drawn out. Yet when he says, "Men of Gondor! Of Rohan! My brothers! ... the same fear that would take the heart of me..." the R's are less pronouced, in a more European English sort of way.

It wouldn't bother me if he just chose one and stuck with it -- he seems to shift in and out of dialects constantly. Oh well. What are you gonna do.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 07:20 PM   #4
ninlaith
Wight

ninlaith has just left Hobbiton.
Yes! I've been waiting for someone to mention that. i love Viggo all in all but i did notice his accent changed alot...I don't know maybe he just couldn't find the right one for awhile. But the time when I noticed it the absolute most was during Elronds Council when he said "You cannot weild it! None of us can! The One Ring answers to Sauron alone..it has no other master!" I feel so bad every time I listen to that. I know exactly how he feels...my last play in highschool I had to use a New York accent for my part..all through play practice I was getting so comfortable with the character that I would just forget..it didn't happen during the show thank goodness.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:13 PM   #5
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Well, let's give Viggo the benefit of the doubt: everything was filmed very much out of order. Perhaps it did take him a while to settle into the role and decide how Aragorn should speak, and so maybe if we watched the scenes in the actual order they were filmed, it would seem less jumpy.

Maybe.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 09:18 PM   #6
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

The one example of changing accents that really sticks out in my mind is Elijah's in the EE scene with the box of salt "I think I found the bottom." seems much rounder o's (that right?) than even the rest of the scene.
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 12:22 PM   #7
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Hey atleast Mr. Mortensen shows that he can change accents. Mr. Bloom has the same accent as an Elf, pirate, and Trojan .
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 12:42 PM   #8
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I'm a Brit Encaitare and no Sam didn't have a British accent, phrases yes accent no. He still uses hard A's most of the time and English people don't.