The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-13-2007, 07:43 AM   #1
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Tolkien Admin thread for WWXXXV: Werewolves among the Wolf-men

Now, we journey back into the mists of time...

Amon Rûdh. A lone hill on the plains west of the valley of Sirion. In its depths, in halls delved aeons ago by forgotten hands, several Outlaws hide from the searching eyes of Morgoth's spies. These men (and women) gathered from all over the Beleriand on rumour of the Dragon Helm of Dor-Lómin, which appeared again in these lands. Brave and weak, sly and meek, bandits and veterans, soldiers and settlers: these people have gathered here on Amon Rûdh, by chance, it could be said. But not all of them are just simple folk: several Morgoth's spies, vicious spirits disguised in human form, have managed to sneak to the ranks of the Outlaws of Amon Rûdh. They cannot reach their master Morgoth now and cannot hope to defeat all the Outlaws at once. So, under the cover of night, they take on their true form – that of the dire wolves, and they try to kill the Outlaws one by one, until there are so few left that they can easily overpower them. But the Outlaws know how to defend themselves, so they start restless hunt for the terrible Werewolves – hunt started by a man who, now hidden among the Outlaws, was once called Túrin, son of Húrin of Dor-Lómin...

Dear Downers, friends, fellow Werewolf players, Tolkien-lovers, and especially you who count yourselves among the fans of the amazing tale of Túrin Turambar. I would like to welcome you on the admin thread for the Werewolf XXXV game, which will be, for this time, taking place in ages long past, in times when Shadow crept from the North and the fate of Beleriand darkened. In this game, I am hoping to give you the possibility of taking part in one of Middle-Earth's most famous stories, experiencing on your own skin the feelings of Túrin, Beleg and many others as the Outlaws of Amon Rûdh. This is the time of decision, time of doubts and danger. Do you dare to enter the secret halls of Amon Rûdh, delved in ages past by Petty Dwarves? And if you do, will you be able to come out again?

We are, of course, creating an „alternate history“ fiction here, so I made some little changes to the story of Túrin to have it suitable and interesting for the game. I think the game could be suitable even for newcoming players, but on the other hand I think it might be interesting enough for the veterans. This game will feature three Werewolves and a good deal of „innocent“ Outlaws (as much as we can get), as well as the „Gifted“ roles of Beleg and Túrin, and some (little) surprises.

Signed up:

Rikae
Shastanis Althreduin
Nogrod
Macalaure
Isabellkya
Brinniel
Lhunardawen
xyzzy
Gil-Galad
the guy who be short
Mithalwen
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 06-24-2007 at 01:30 PM.
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:46 AM   #2
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Rules

Concerning narrations

The narrations will reflect the game as closely as possible, including peoples' roles, significant events during the Night, plus (eventually) the personalities of the characters. If there is to be spoken about an unknown person, the person will be referred to in the narration as „he“. Roleplaying in this game is supported, though not necessary. Personally I think it would be best for you players to choose for yourselves here on this thread if you want it or not, since I know how distracting it may be, but I also know many people will like it. In case you choose to include roleplaying in the game, I would welcome everyone who wishes to PM me his role: concerning appearance, description of character personality; and also some brief (or even less brief, if you wish) summary of the character's past and how he/she got among the Outlaws will be nice. Remember please, whatever personality and past you take, it should correspond with the late First Age in Beleriand, at the time Túrin and the Outlaws settled at Amon Rûdh.
Knowledge of the tale of Túrin is recommended (for proper game experience as for basic orientation. It is not of course a necessity, but as I said, recommended. To those who do not know the tale and might want to read it in future, WARNING: WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS).

General Rules

The game starts on Monday 25th June, 8 PM GMT with Night 1.

Every Day lasts, of course, 24 real time hours and every Night as well. We start with a Night phase, where no kill is made and no special ability is used. Concerning the deadline, my initial proposal will be 8 PM GMT (9 PM BST). If you'd like something different, I'm open to your suggestions and will do my best to find something suitable for everybody, though in the end the main criterion will still be my timetable.

During the Day, the village chooses a person to lynch this Day by voting. The person who gets the most votes at the time of deadline is dead and can no longer post on the game thread as well as on the admin thread until the game ends.
Votes posted on the game thread should be on a separate line, boldened, marked with „++“ and clearly indicating the name of the person chosen to vote, like this:

++Legate of Amon Lanc

Every person has two votes per Day, meaning he can retract once a vote he cast before. Retraction (and the new vote, eventually) should look on the game thread like this:

--Legate of Amon Lanc
+++Legate of Amon Rûdh

If there are equal votes for two persons, the first person who reached the highest number of votes is lynched. So no double-lynches.

Roleplaying is compulsory in this game. This means, you post in-character, but from a second-person point of view, i.e. describing what your character does and says, like
Quote:
Legate of Amon Lanc stepped forward. "I did not know he was innocent!" he shouted at Legate of Amon Rûdh.
Not
Quote:
I did not know he was innocent!
In last minute retraction frays, you may eventually skip it and post just votes (but it will be nicer to and maybe it will help you not to end in these last minute frays).

AND, since we are doing this, you should leave the smilies and your signatures out of the posts. With the signatures, you can either set it in your profile, or you may check it individually at each post you make (it's down there under the "Addittional Options", "SHOW YOUR SIGNATURE", so you just un-check the box).

Posts can be edited for spelling mistakes or for noting cross-posting, but the content cannot be changed.
Out-game discussion about the game is not allowed. Only the roles that are allowed to PM each other can PM about the game at Night.
Admin thread can be used only for explanation of out-game problems and apologies for non-participation. Bearing in mind problems from latter games, I'd suggest you sign up only if you really think you'll be able to actively participate most of the time. I know I'm maybe ruining my own possible clientel by saying that, but I think it's better to have less players who participate surely than more players who fall off during the course of the game. I think it's disturbing for the players as well for the Mod himself, whatever the person's role is.
Person who does not vote for two days in a row will be eliminated from the game by the Mod. (amnesty may be granted by the Mod)

Please, don't forget to turn yourselves invisible before Night 1 starts! (For those who may not know, turning invisible is performed by clicking on your User CP, choosing „Edit Options“ and checking the „Use Invisible Mode“ field, then scrolling down the page and hitting „Save Changes“.)

Roles - summary

Three Werewolves, who try to appear like normal Outlaws at Day and PM each other at Night, while choosing one person to kill every Night.
A number of Ordinary Outlaws – the more, the merrier – who post at Day and try to lynch all the Wolves one by one.
Túrin, a special „Gifted“ role with special abilities, on the side of the Outlaws.
Beleg, a special „Gifted“ role with special abilities, on the side of the Outlaws.
Some more unknown roles... As soon as the game thread is up (in a day or two), you'll be able to catch a glimpse of them in the narration. Though nothing will be said for certain.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 06-24-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:52 AM   #3
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Sounds all too intriguing... put me down as a questionmark. I'll ask you to take my name off later if it seems I won't be able to participate.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:36 AM   #4
Isabellkya
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Isabellkya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
This sounds like some fun. I would like to join. However I will be gone friday night and all day saturday.. just to let you know if signups fill quickly.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:53 AM   #5
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
In case enough people will not sign up until June 27 (improbable, isn't it?), I'd like to play. Before that I'm afraid I'll have no time.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:23 PM   #6
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Looks interesting. I'm anxious to get back into WW again, so go ahead and sign me up.

Also, if this game starts really soon (before the 18th), I may not post so often. After that, I will have more time. Another note: while I should be able to post fairly frequently (after the 17th), I'm not sure how often I'll be there each Day right before the deadline (work related reasons), so I may have to vote a few hours early a lot. I just thought I might warn everyone now since I tend to get killed whenever I vote early...