The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-17-2005, 05:27 PM   #1
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Garen LiLorian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Garen LiLorian
Dear G; Tried to find you...

It can be reasonably supposed that Imladris was under no direct threat during the war of the Ring, right? That is, Elrond was able and willing to send Elladan and Elrohir with Halbarad to the aid of Aragorn. Now, my question is this; why didn't Glorfindel ride with the Grey Company? After all, he reincarnated to fight Sauron, so his absence from the great conflicts at the end of the Third Age seems a bit odd. Although Halbarad brings up the point that only twenty or so Rangers could be gathered in haste, surely this would not apply to those reachable by osanwe? If Elladan and Elrohir came along, why not Glorfindel?
This is my quest, to follow that star; no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. To fight for the right, without question or pause. To be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause! -Man of La Mancha
Garen LiLorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 05:40 PM   #2
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Perhaps Glorfindel was off fighting Sauron at different fronts, which was pretty much everywhere during the time that Frodo was on his way to Mordor.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 11:04 PM   #3
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainaserkewen
Perhaps Glorfindel was off fighting Sauron at different fronts, which was pretty much everywhere during the time that Frodo was on his way to Mordor.
It's quite possible. For all we know, Glorfindel was in Lothlorien. After all, he came to Gondor in the group that included the elves of Lothlorien, as well as the Elves of Rivendell. Or maybe he was in Mirkwood.

Also, Rivendell wasn't under seige by a great army, true. That does not mean that Rivendell was not without dangers. If there were packs of men threatening Bree and the Shire, and considering Rivendell's proximity to the Mountains and the Orks and Wargs, it is not more than likely that Rivendell would have been surrounded by some sort of fighting, although more of the skirmish nature?

Glorfindel could have stayed and led the fight in the defense of Rivendell. Unlike Elladan and Elrohir, he doesn't seemed to have cared to take part in great battles just for the sake of them. (I forget where to find it, but doesn't it say that Elladan and Elrohir rode with the Dunedain because they would not be left out of the great deeds of the times?) And with the Sons of Elrond gone, SOMEONE had to lead the defense of Rivendell, small though the job might be in comparison to that in Rohan or Gondor. And Elrond seems to have long since given up the sword by this time (cf. comments in Morgoth's Ring about healers not being fighters).
Old 02-18-2005, 03:31 AM   #4
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
I remember this query popping up on another lotr forum a few years back. I'm not sure if we have anything like it here at the Barrow-downs, but it was a debate from two teams on whether particular events would have gone better if changes were made tothe plot.

The question was, would it have been better to send Glorfindel instead of Pippin as a member of the Fellowship? Very interesting points were raised, ie Glorfindel would probably have helped Gandalf defeat the balrog and gandalf might not have fallen off the bridge. This led to a big domino effect - ie would have gandalf gone with frodo and sam? ie no defence of MT or aid to Theoden? maybe merry and pippin would not have been captured, and therefore no defeat of Saruman via the Ents, etc?

Maybe there is an area on the site that has these sort of discussions, but I haven't seen one.....
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 12:12 PM   #5
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
It says in LOTR that Rivendell had not the strength to withstand the full might of Sauron. It would hold out longest perhaps because of the power that dwellt there and its geographic seclusion, but if all else fell it would fall. The ring quest was hope against hope and only succeeded because of the combination of circumstances.

It was the habit of the sons of Elrond to work with their kin. It would have been a different matter to send Rivendell's general - it was Glorfindel who led the forces of imladris against the witch king. By the time of the War of the Ring, Elrond is a healer not a warrior - and the elves believed that the two roles were incompatible. Glorfindel was probably believed to be vital to the protection and in worst case scenario, evacuation of Rivendell.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 12:30 PM   #6
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Elrond was always a healer and not a warrior. As you said, the two roles are incompatible. That means that they are incompatible always, and you can't switch around willy nilly. It also means that he can't hunt.