The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-06-2013, 12:05 AM   #1
Glorthelion
Haunting Spirit

Glorthelion has just left Hobbiton.
First look at Evangeline Lilly in 'The Hobbit: the Desolation of Smaug'

Damn Gulf
Glorthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:23 AM   #2
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Leaf

Hmmn. Perhaps they should have simply named this character “Legolass?”
Old 06-06-2013, 05:39 AM   #3
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
First impression: Is she the long-lost daughter of long-lost Maglor of something? She looks Feanorian.

Second impression: She looks old and not too beautiful. Bad job, whoever was working on her.

Third impression: Is that quiver hanging on her waist? I think we only saw the ones on the back in LOTR.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:48 AM   #4
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
First impression: Is she the long-lost daughter of long-lost Maglor of something? She looks Feanorian.
Well, red hair was exclusively limited to Mahtan's line... but then again, PJ doesn't have access to that material so he's free to do as he pleases.

The quiver seems to be hanging on her waist indeed. More practical than having it on the back, in my opinion.

I reserve my judgment till I've seen what PJ does with her. I'm not too hopeful because we know what he's capable of, but hey, somebody's got to be the captain of guard, and unlike many, while I'm skeptical by default about all PJ's additions, I don't have a problem with her being a woman.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Wait...I must be way out of the loop, but I thought I read something that said her character had been cut.

Also, there is something about the ears that is bothering me...they are too noticable or something.

And, because of the recent Star Trek movie, I look at her and think "Vulcan."
Old 06-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
Zigūr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I have no particular objection to her appearance, although I can't help but feel a slight "cut-price Arwen" vibe for whatever reason.
The most objectionable thing I've heard about this character is the alleged Elf-Dwarf romance (involving Kķli, perhaps?). Seems to just perpetuate the previous film's attitude that Dwarves are only "interesting" if they're basically just short Men.

Incidentally, is there a particular reason, do you think, that Tolkien never (to the best of my knowledge) suggests "half-Dwarves" or any interbreeding of that kind? Besides the insular nature of Dwarven culture, I mean. I always supposed that being "adoptive" children of Eru, there was something slightly alien about them in almost a physiological sense which put something of a divide between them and the explicitly "human" races which interbred: Elves, Men (including Hobbits) and Orcs (assuming they were Fallen Children). That's my more lore-based reason for why I find the romance rumour a bit dodgy.

Knowing PJ's tendencies though she'll probably end up with about three lines of incidental dialogue in large group scenes and lots of shots of her and Legolas intercut fighting spiders, werewolves, goblins, Ringwraiths, giant robotic Saurons, mūmakil riding slightly larger mūmakil, and Azog. Well, maybe that last one's a bit far-fetched...