The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-14-2003, 03:40 PM   #1
Rhunedhel

Pipe references

perhaps you can help me: im looking for places to find out about what lay outside the map in LotR during the 2nd-4th ages...really i would like to find out about the populace and cities, things of the type, because i have the Atlas, so the lands i've pretty much got. Perhaps the Histories im getting for x-mas would be of assistance...but i find it hard to believe there were no civilized places outside where the main stories lie

Thanks

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 4:42 PM December 14, 2003: Message edited by: Rhunedhel ]
Old 12-14-2003, 05:13 PM   #2
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

It depends on what you consider to be "civilized." Tolkien's philosophy concerning Lord of the Rings was, if it doesn't influence the story in any way, there is no reason to include it. If the lands didn't influence the story in any way (battles didn't take place there, characters didn't come from there, etc.), then no real information exists about that place. So don't expect to find extremely detailed maps of all of Middle-earth, because they probably don't exist.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote