The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-27-2002, 03:45 PM   #1
cheeto
Pile O'Bones

cheeto has just left Hobbiton.
Sting cloak question(thread?needle?get over here!)

I'm thinking about making a cloak,I've made them and other things for younger relitives,but I've never put a hood on them,I was wondering if anyone could show picks or explain any ideas on how to add one without it looking too obviosely like it was sewed on seperatly(does that make sense?)and would a drawstring look tacky?(it's looked fine with the others,but I like hearing other ideas)if you have a desighn with sleeves(I've seen them before,very cool)post it up
cheeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 03:49 PM   #2
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Try this pattern. It's fairly simple to make. http://home.clara.net/arianrhod/Alde...f/Cloak02.html
Old 03-27-2002, 07:58 PM   #3
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

looks cool! I'm gonna try it too! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 02:14 PM   #4
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Sting

That pattern looks great! If I ever finish all my other projects, I'd like to try it some day...

Just one thing: The pattern suggested crushed velvet or cotton/polycotton. I wear a cape for living history and I wouldn't dream of not having one made of wool. It is heavy, but it's far warmer than cotton. Mine is also lined in flannel. In Texas is doesn't get super cold, and my cape is none too warm! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Just a thought if you wanted to use your cloak as an outerwear garment. Have fun! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2002, 03:36 PM   #5
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

OOOOO! I gotta have a go @ that!

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 05:02 PM   #6
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Knowing me, if I WERE to make a cloak, then I would wing it. I'd be like, "Oh, this looks good cut like THIS...OH! And this should be shaped like THIS...and you sew it like...THIS!" And, it actually wouldn't turn out that bad and would probably be fairly true to what the hobbit-cloaks would look like. Elf cloaks, those would be perfect, but...

My mom DID make a really good hooded cloak when I was like eight and I was Little Red Riding Hood...it looked exactly like the ones in FotR actually. She used a pattern from...hmmm...which one of those books? McCall's maybe...if you want a pattern you can take HOME, then go to any sewing store with patterns, they'll have them!
Old 03-30-2002, 08:23 PM   #7
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

I made my own cloak and I have two thoughts on how you can make it hooded.

1) Make it reversible or lined(simple to do even if the pattern doesn't call for it) and sew the hood BETWEEN the two layers.

2) Put it on with buttons so it can be removed. This way both the cloak collar and the bottom edge of the hood will be finished.

Well, now that I'v thought about it I've come up with a third, but describing it would be difficult.

3) Put a plain collar on the cloak, just a long piece of straight fabric folded over both the inside and outside and sew the hood under that. (be careful not to sew it on the wrong side.)

Hope that was understandable. I know it can be tough trying to make sense of something with no pictures. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2002, 08:53 PM   #8
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Cheeto, I'm assuming you're female here, after I made my cloak I made a purse/ bag to match from the scraps. Be glad to describe that if you're interested.
Old 03-31-2002, 02:03 PM   #9
cheeto
Pile O'Bones

cheeto has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

go ahead and post the steps for the bag Raefindel,I probly won't get started for a long time,(just got back from a trip and I'm broke)
cheeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 02:11 PM   #10
Niere-Teleliniel
Haunting Spirit

Niere-Teleliniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with Nuranar: make it WARM. i live in Pennsylvania, and when I went running thru the woods with my friends (like the idiots we are [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ) I was COLD cause my cloak was only 1 layer of cotton (dumb me, not to much elven-sense, I guess) Also, to give it a snappy finish, buy or devise some kind of brooch.

[ March 31, 2002: Message edited by: Niere-Teleliniel ]

~Douglas Adams
Niere-Teleliniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 03:24 PM   #11
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Well, Let's see... I cut two circles, one of each fabric, the outside and the lining ( I lined my cloak) each circle was about 15 inches. I think I traced a large plate. Put WRONG sides of fabric together and sew around the edge leaving enough room to put your hand in and turn it right-side-out. Sew up the hole.Iron flat(very important).

Sew a finishing stitch as close to the edge of the fabric as you can. sew two more times around the circle- one seam one inch from the edge and one a half inch further in. Cut a small hole (like a button hole) between these two (like a rod-pocket on curtains) and run a cord through it with a saftey pin. Pull the cord tight... ta dah!

Let me know if this isn't understandable. I can see if I can re-write it to make more sense. OK?
Old 04-07-2002, 05:40 PM   #12
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Just a thought to add to what Nuranar and Niere-Teleliniel said about fabric. I lined mine wtih satin and found this to be a BIG mistake. It is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. I wish I had lined it with cotton.
[img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2002, 11:45 PM   #13
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am using Baroque Satin as my lining, but I am using crushed velvet for the cloak, but down here in Ga, it doesn't get too cold, well most of the time....

[ June 22, 2002: Message edited by: Joy ]

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 11:53 PM   #14
Yerniel Vénea
Pile O'Bones

Yerniel Vénea has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Yerniel Vénea
Silmaril

I have a pattern from McCall's that has one cloak. the pattern # is P438. It is a simple one w/ a hood but it is only one layered. It is long too, down to the ankles or so. I have not made it but will try it someday. A friend of my recently bought one from Simplicity and it is a pattern w/ 3 types of cloaks: a guy's cloak, a long woman's, and another that I cannot think of right now. I just found one on-line and the # is 9452 of Simplicity (not the one my friend has). I will try and find out what the # is for the cool pattern she has for the cloak, ok? If all else fails, find out pattern brand names and look at their sites. www.simplicity.com and there's others but I can't think of 'em!

"But what?" said Gandalf. "Only one but will I allow tonight."
Yerniel Vénea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 11:56 PM   #15
Nimrodel
Haunting Spirit

Nimrodel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lady Rae is right, they are easy to line. Just do everything twice.
Old 06-22-2002, 12:00 AM   #16
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Sting

Yerniel, I will be using Mccall's pattern #9410 for my cloak, but I am looking to make a cloak for the guys that are in our group, so I might take a look at that one that you posted.

Also, I am making the cloak claps also.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Old 06-22-2002, 11:54 AM   #17
merlilot
Wight

merlilot has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Wow, I thought I was th only wierdo who wanted a cloak. And to think all the times I safety pinned a blanket to my shoulders...No really, I wanna make one, but have a) no money and b) no time, so it looks like I'm screwed for that one.
Old 06-22-2002, 12:44 PM   #18
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Yes, Sewing is expensive and time consuming. I have 2 cloaks I made for myself and I made each of my daughers a reversable cloak. It was fun to take them to the fabric store and let them each choose fabric. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-22-2002, 12:59 PM   #19
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Sting

Mae govannan Merlilot. Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo. (A star shines on the hour of our meeting.)

Welcome to the Downs. Have fun and post often.

Old 06-22-2002, 01:07 PM   #20
merlilot
Wight

Sting

Oh, believe me, I post often. You guys will want to get rid of me. I knew what Elen sila lumenn omentilmo meant, but am still wondering what the translation of Mae govannen is. I know it is something along the lines of welcome...
Old 06-22-2002, 03:10 PM   #21
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Mae Govannen is "Well Met".
Old 06-23-2002, 05:45 PM   #22
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

<font color=gold>I'm a cop-out! I am paying a seamstress to make a cape for me. But I am picking out my own material (an elven grey of course!). I can't wait for the Renaissance Festival!!!!!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 07:27 PM   #23
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

I have a burgandy lined in gold and a sage green. My daughters chose really wild fabrics. The younger's is purple with stars in one side and green with leaves on the other. The older's is light blue with fairies on one side and pink with hearts on the other. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2002, 08:41 PM   #24
merlilot
Wight

Sting

The RenFest is the best! I love it! I wanna work there, but I can't, not with my school sched.

Oh, OK, Well Met. Gracias!
Old 06-24-2002, 02:52 PM   #25
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If I've posted this information before I apologise. McCalls make a set of patterns called 'Evening Elegance' most of them are utter girlie pants but one has got a lovely cloak and elf dress ensemble. I made the dress recently but I've put the pattern in my pattern box so give me a few days to find the number. If I can be of any help with the sewing stuff just ask. I've been dressing in a somewhat unique manner for a number of years now. (Mme.Vampire in the Winter and Elf in the Summer!)
Old 06-25-2002, 08:57 PM   #26
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

*sigh* If I had time and money I'd do all this... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 10:12 AM   #27
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

elfearz1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elfearz1
Eye

Simplicity also makes patterns for cloaks under "costumes." Also if you are short on money. (this is going to sound reallly stupid) but buy a sheet that is similiar in material and color to cloaks and it works well enough.
elfearz1 is offline   Reply With Quote