The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-11-2003, 11:18 AM   #1
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Calling all cookery experts!

I need a really good recipe for school, and I can find any in previous threads. It needs to be middle-earth related, but (and heres the catch) cannot be some other food under a different name. So lord of the onion rings will not do.

I would appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2003, 11:42 AM   #2
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

What kind of recipe did you have in mind?

The Hobbit has more mention of food than the trilogy. On the Arda Recipe Book thread I've posted a recipe for Seed Cakes Which bilbo served the Dwarves at the Unexpected Party.

I also have recipes for Honey Cakes and Tea Cakes, all of which are mentioned in The Hobbit.

[ February 11, 2003: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 02-11-2003, 11:59 AM   #3
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Those are all very good recipes, but what I need for my cooking lesson is a new recipe that has not been done before, something that you cannot just go out and buy. i know its hard, but that is why I am asking you. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2003, 02:03 PM   #4
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm not sure I follow you, EVERYTHING has been done before! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] How about some kind of appetizer, snack thing that might be served at the Prancing Pony, (or a hearty stew), think of the Prancing Pony's menu, and give your "New" creation a name that you can imagine old Butterbur serving up. A cheese dip in a crock, or something good with all that ale. Or, a sweet airy egg white Pavlova type thing..."Imlandris wedding cakes" something that was made special by the elves of Rivendell for the wedding of Arwen and Aragorn...I can imagine the elves of Lothlorien with a delicious fruit drink, that is served every morning. Is this what you mean? Is it the recipe you are supposed to create, (you have to do that then! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) and then slot it in a ME theme? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2003, 03:25 PM   #5
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I dont have to create it as such, but just kind of merge two recipes. Its a free lesson, but my last ever, so I would like to make something interesting and impressive.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:30 PM   #6
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

What's your specialty? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Baked sweets, grilled meat, breads, fresh fruits and vegetables, apetizers???. Something the orcs would eat would be wild! Lots of wasabi and cubed beef! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Second breakfast omelet? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ February 11, 2003: Message edited by: Liriodendron ]
Old 02-11-2003, 03:54 PM   #7
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

not meat, I'm a vegetarian. I do have a sweet tooth though
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ February 11, 2003: Message edited by: eleanor_niphredil ]
Old 02-11-2003, 05:18 PM   #8
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Gilthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

What you need is advice from an old hobbit who knows his way around a kitchen! I served this up on a thread somewhere out there about a year ago or so.

Beorn's Honeyed Fruit Salad

This is a sweet treat with Beorn's favorite additive, pure local honey. You can sometimes find local honey at specialty shops, flea markets, or farmer's markets. I know a keeper of a local apiary and buy it for just $7.00(US) a quart/liter!

2 Nectarines
2 Big Purple Plums
2 Ripe Peaches
2 Granny Smith Apples
1 Small Bunch, seedless white/green grapes
1 Small Bunch, seedless red grapes
1 Small Bunch, seedless purple grapes (I like color!)
1 Pint Half & Half (Heavy Cream)

Wash all fruit. Cut all fruit into VERY small pieces (except grapes). Place all fruit in VERY large bowl. Add grapes to fill bowl. Cover with nearly 1 pint (500 ml) honey. This might not seem like much, but watch out, the fluid level will rise over time! Mix well. Let sit and chill, an hour is fine, a day is great!

You will notice that the apples do not brown. Honey is a natural preservative! It is also hydroscopic, so it sucks moisture from the cut fruit. (That's why a little honey will go a long long long way.)

OH MY! The marriage of the apples, nectarines, plums, and peaches in the honey makes a sweet blended taste with a bite! Mmmmmmmmmm! (A good reason to fix this a day ahead if you can, for it is even better the second day! And the third! But do fix it at least an hour ahead and you will not be disappointed.) Left over honeyed fruit juice can be mixed with pure water and chilled for a delicious and refreshing beverage, or poured thick as it is over ice cream!

Serve with a little heavy cream (Half & Half in the US) separately, to be poured over it by your guests as they wish. Cream was another favorite of Beorn!

(Some folk also like a little shredded coconut with this, but I doubt Beorn had it imported from Far Harad up the River Running and out of the Woodland Realm across Mirkwood!)

You can try your own mix of fruits, though I have found that to my palate, these fruits marry best with the honey. Melons do not do well. Citrus is alright.

Serves a light, luscious, refreshing desert for: 1 large Beorning, 1 small hobbit, 1 hungry wizard, and 13 famished dwarves. Plenty of energy for a night of long tales and songs!
Old 02-11-2003, 05:28 PM   #9
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

You should try one of the ones for Lembas, that would be good, because those are kind of original, it would be just like bringing in a kind of cookie (because basically all cookies are very much the same, it just depends on how long you cook it and what you add to it) Rae has the one on the other thread, that one seems more like a cake kind of deal, I also searched these other ones
this one ,this other one but for this one you need some kind of waffle iron, I am going to put this one up for fun
Sacred Lembas
This one below looks really good, and easy, I think I even would try it
Lothlorien Lembas I think some of these would be really good to bring in, hope they help [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
And if you do try any of them please post your feedback and how they turned out.

[ February 11, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 02-11-2003, 08:18 PM   #10
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Artichoke Dip
8 oz cream cheese
1 cup Mayonaise
1/4 cup parmasean cheese
1 4oz can diced green chiles
1 14oz can artichoke hearts in water, drained and chopped

Cream the cheese until softened. Mix in Mayonaise until smooth. Add remaining ingredients. Serve chilled or hot in a crock pot. Serve with ritz crackers or tortilla chips.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:34 PM   #11
Greycloak
Animated Skeleton

Greycloak has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was wondering Liriodendron ... do Orcs cook their manflesh or do they eat it raw...?

eleanor_niphredil , does it count as a cooking project if it's raw?
Greycloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 10:01 PM   #12
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Pickled! Manflesh seviche! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2003, 11:13 PM   #13
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

1420!

Yum! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2003, 11:54 PM   #14
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Oops, this is turning into yet another recipe thread - and we already have three of those! Could you repost the recipes on the Arda Recipe Book thread, please? This thread can be used for a temporary discussion of the assignment at hand and later deleted. Thanks!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 12:54 AM   #15
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, if we're harkin' back to The Hobbit, you could always do a gustatory homage to Smaug's snackin' on the ponies, and serve horse.

That would be different! Unless you're French.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 01:46 AM   #16
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

These all sound really good. thanks. Plus, I just found out that, since I have two hours, we can do two!
Old 02-13-2003, 08:20 AM   #17
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Sting

Well, please do let us know what recipes you used and how they went over! I don't mind this being deleted, since I did post the amazing Beorn's Honeyed Fruit Salad on an earlier thread.

I will post the MANFLESH ORCISH-STYLE on the Arda Recipe thread. See y'all there!
Old 02-14-2003, 11:58 AM   #18
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

okay, new thing. I really want to do the Lembas, as well as something else, but if I do it wont look like much. How can I make it look fancy?
Old 02-14-2003, 02:24 PM   #19
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

The presentation! Find some large glycerinized leaves that you can wrap them in, and tie with golden cord. Arrange them on a mirror! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2003, 04:03 PM   #20
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Thank you all for your help. I did Lembas bread, but something must have gone wrong as not even the birds will eat it! However, the Honeyed fruit salad that I did turned out very well. Thank you again!
Old 02-24-2003, 06:34 PM   #21
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Sting

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I am ever so happy it worked out!

Sorry about the Lembas. I've never had luck with Lembas (yet) myself. I've got a "dinner roll" bread recipe that is almost like eating melt-in-your-mouth cake (my old Gaffer's recipe!) but I've not conquered elvish cracker-wafers. You could call it a "fair elvish loaf" I suppose, but I make it in a dwarven bread machine!