The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-03-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
Archaic Elf
Animated Skeleton

Archaic Elf has just left Hobbiton.
A Classic Era LOTR Movie

I was starting to read the thread about the probability of a LOTR remake happening in the future (I would say that it will more than likely happen be it twenty or thirty years from now...they remake everything in Hollywood). Now, I'm wondering what people would think if a LOTR film had been made at any point from the 30s till a few years before Peter Jackson announced the production of his films. What would you like to see? Who should direct? Who should star in the films? Cross eras if you want, I'm not a film buff anyway.

I think a film adaptation with Bela Lugosi as Saruman would be epic.
Boris Karloff as Grima Wormtongue.
Christopher Lee as the Lord of the Nazgul
Charlton Heston could be Aragorn.
...I'm already tapped on ideas

I would prefer to see more of a dramatic piece than a sword-slasher, so the directing should take cues more from a film like Ben-Hur rather than the Star Wars prequel trilogy. I would also prefer to have the movie be in black and white and completely minimize all special effects.

I imagine a thread like this exists (I looked, but the fantasy casting threads generally pertain to the new Hobbit films or to the Silmarillion). Feel free to merge with another if needed.
Archaic Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
JoltFlame
Pile O'Bones

JoltFlame has just left Hobbiton.
I hope not they will remake the trilogy, those three movies are unique and ought to stay that way.
JoltFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I do hope they will remake the trilogy in my lifetime. As the Hobbit saying goes, "Third time pays for all", so maybe someone will finally get it right.

So, supposing the creators will have access to a time machine:

Either Greta Garbo or Marlene Dietrich as Galadriel;
Sir Alec Guinness (in his later years) as Gandalf instead of Obi-wan Kenobi. (He once said himself that the similarity between the two was what attracted him to the role in the first place, so why not play the original?)
Hellmut Lange as Aragorn (see here); but Charlton Heston would be a nice second choice;
Peter Cushing as Denethor;
and last not least...
Klaus Kinski as Gollum!
Old 07-04-2010, 01:27 AM   #4
Archaic Elf
Animated Skeleton

Archaic Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Klaus Kinski as Gollum would be the icing on the cake. That would be amazing to see. I was a huge fan of Nosferatu ('79), a visual masterpiece. The soundtrack for that film gets stuck in your head easily.

Wow, I just found this parody. Lord of the Rings Movie of 1940. This isn't what I had in mind, but it's great:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xruJ...eature=related
Archaic Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:25 AM   #5
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Play it again Samwise

Archaic Elf,

that's an excellent link!

from the 60s-70s I reckon Pitchwife has it spot on for Alec Guiness as Gandalf, also

Clint Eastwood as Aragorn
Dustin Hoffman as Frodo
James Mason as Bilbo
Old 07-04-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Well, if you're going to have Bela Lugosi as Saruman, how about Dwight Fry as Grima Wormtongue? He was the best Renfield of all time! He might even be a good Gollum. Except for being dead, of course.