The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-14-2003, 11:38 PM   #1
Ceryx Moon

Silmaril New here ... been dying to say ...

I imagine this topic has been done before, but as I am new here I will have my go ... a couple of things that drive me crazy about Fellowship of the Ring movie ...<P>Gandalf loses his hat and staff at Saruman's tower but has them again at Rivendell.<P>The company are often frying up sausages but never contract tummy bugs from eating unrefrigerated meat.<P>Why does Boromir stop Frodo from rescuing Gandalf in Moria? Of course, I know he can't because of the actual storyline, but why is he shown stopping him?<P>Does Frodo ever suffer headaches, backaches, or injuries from being thrown backwards so often?<P>I have more, but I don't want to be TOO cynical.<P>But okay ... for that matter, the whole of the book suffers from a gaping huge plot-hole - why didn't they just fly Gandalf and Frodo to the Crack of Doom on Gwaihir in the first place and save all that trouble? Not that I'm complaining! I love the story!<P>Having said all that, I can't wait for Two Towers to come out on video and Return of the King in December. <P>Love this site, glad to be here. <P>
Old 08-14-2003, 11:58 PM   #2
steve
Wight

steve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to steve
Sting

First of... Welcome to the downs. Enjoy being dead, and dont scare to many children that wander near ur crypt. you dont need any priests trying to excercise you (heh drop and give me 20)<P>Ok, well about the meat part, for so many years there was not refrigeration and people ate meat, plus they did not really eat any meat after leaving rivendel. and about boromir stoping frodo, on that same accord why did faramir take frodo and sam to osgiliath? why did arwen take glorfindel's place? why wasnt erekenbrand in the movie at all? I cant explain the staff. They probable do suffer bachaches and headaches, but why would they show it or put it in the book?<P> and if u have any other Qs and u dont wana post, just IM me on aol at smeagol the vile ~Steve~<p>[ August 15, 2003: Message edited by: steve ]
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 07:35 AM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Welcome to the Downs, Ceryx Moon! There's a whole thread on the eagle question: <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000779" TARGET=_blank>The Great Eagle Mystery</A>. Enjoy! To introduce yourself, please post on the <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=002368&p=5" TARGET=_blank>New Members</A> thread on the Novices and Newcomers forum.<p>[ August 15, 2003: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 08:36 AM   #4
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I think Borimir stopped Frodo because of two reasons: <BR>*Frodo, being only a hobbit, couldn't have given any <I>real</I> help to Gandalf anyway with Gandalf being in the situation that he was.<BR>*The bridge was probably un-stable, & it was hardly worth chancing the life of the Ring-Bearer, & perhaps the last hope of destroying the Ring to let Frodo go running across the Bridge to Gandalf, only to have it crumble under his feet... .
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 08:24 PM   #5
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

Yeah, why <I>wouldn't</I> Boromir stop him? Besides, if he hadn't, Sam probably would have anyway. <P>No offense to you, <B>Ceryx Moon</B>(BTW Welcome to the Downs! That's an awesome name.), but that is more a question of simple common sense logic than plot. I've determined not to repeat what The Only Real Estel has said, but he put it better than I would've anyway...

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 09:01 PM   #6
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think a new forum should be created with the sole purpose of *****ing about Peter Jackson's movie. I created a new thread the other day on the topic of parts of PJ's movies that people did not like, and there are many more on the site. This is just another duplicate thread, and many of the things you are arguing here are pointless.<P>As for the sausages "mystery"; since I'm sure wanderers in Middle Earth did not often find a place to refrigerate their food, I would imagine they salted the meat to preserve it.<P>How Gandalf gets his staff again is inexplicable; a theory is that a new one was made for him (as well as, I suppose, his hat), in Rivendell.<P>The Eagle mystery has been discussed time and again, and the simple fact is that the Eagles probably would not have agreed to a task of such danger, nor would it have made a good book plot .<P>When was Frodo thrown forwards and backwards? Do you mean in the skirmish in Moria, or when he rode Arwen's horse, or is there something else specifically that I am missing?<P>I think the Boromir situation is pretty self-explanatory. What would Frodo have done, rescued Gandalf from the grip of the Balrog? He would have put himself in the clear path of orkish archers, risked the bridge crumbling and risked the entire point of the quest.<P>On a lighter note, I shall suggest the "Whining about PJ" forum to the BD administration . <P>Cheers!<BR>-Angmar<p>[ August 22, 2003: Message edited by: Lord of Angmar ]
Old 08-15-2003, 09:36 PM   #7
Kaiserin
Wight

Kaiserin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi Ceryx Moon! Nice name <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> ...the whole of the book suffers from a gaping huge plot-hole - why didn't they just fly Gandalf and Frodo to the Crack of Doom on Gwaihir in the first place and save all that trouble? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Think: SECRECY. If Gwaihir flew the ring over to Mount Doom, it would become too obvious to Sauron. And they would be an open target. And besides, the eagles don't interfere with mortal's matters until they are permited to do so by the Valar.<P>Funny that you should think about the backaches and headaches... <p>[ August 15, 2003: Message edited by: Kaiserin ]
Old 08-16-2003, 12:33 PM   #8
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

Per Ceryx Moon's (welcome, btw) question regarding the lack of headaches and backaches, well, I don't think that the movies are particularly unrealistic about it.<P>I mean, check out Frodo's face in half the scenes. Does he look particularly <I>happy</I> or <I>healthy</I> to you? Also, remember Frodo's wound: that one isn't going <I>anywhere</I> for the rest of his life.<P>Per Aragorn in regards to backaches and whatnot: he's a trained warrior. I think that assuming that he knows how to fall with minimal injury to himself is not stretching our logic too far. He's got <I>special</I> blood running in his veins; he can manage. Same goes for Gimli. And Legolas is an <I>Elf</I>, and if you know anything about Elves, you should probably have a good idea of how hard it is to seriously damage an Elf. <P>Besides all that, having the characters continuously walking around and whining "me back hurrrts" would turn an epic into something resembling a documentary on retirement homes.
Old 08-16-2003, 02:08 PM   #9
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
arianrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arianrod
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Besides all that, having the characters continuously walking around and whining "me back hurrrts" would turn an epic into something resembling a documentary on retirement homes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>lol, Lush! <P>And on to the complaints listed above, let me remind you of something: PJ isn't perfect. All movies have little inconsistancies in their details that seem a bit 'off' to attentive audience members, and LotR is no different. Maybe PJ was paying more attention to portraying the story in an understandable manner than he was with preserving sausages. But hey, that's just my opinion...
arianrod is offline   Reply With Quote