The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-10-2005, 11:13 AM   #1
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
On-line Tolkien course

In case anyone is interested Cardiff University is currently running a course on Tolkien: The Foundations of Middle-earth: Myth, Language and Ideology in J. R .R. Tolkien’s Literature. Find out more here
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 11:35 AM   #2
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
...Interesting. I'll have to look into doing that. Are you doing it Davem?
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 11:44 AM   #3
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perky Ent
...Interesting. I'll have to look into doing that. Are you doing it Davem?
I'm really in two minds about it. I only recently found out about it via the Tolkien Society site. I suppose it would be interesting if a few of us Downers did it together. Don't know if anyone else would consider it....
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 01:15 PM   #4
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
That would be really interesting to do. I'll consider it, when I'm out of high school.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:32 PM   #5
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Online course? And here's me expecting University-based frolics in Wales with other Barrowdowners.

We could all share a flat. Just an idea...
Old 09-10-2005, 03:01 PM   #6
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
Did you mean flat or flet, Eomer? I thought we already shared a barrow.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:29 PM   #7
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
I got top bunk! Who has my plane ticket?

Yeah, it would be quite cool if several downers did it together. Then I'd have someone I could cheat....ing is bad, and something I wouldn't do.
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 12:18 PM   #8
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
Online course? And here's me expecting University-based frolics in Wales with other Barrowdowners.

It could be like The Young Ones. Who's going to be Neil?

I would actually be scared of doing a course about Tolkien, in case I got bad marks! The shame would be unbearable!

But online learning is a great idea if anyone fancies it. You usually get access to a 'chat area' where you can discuss your assignments with other distance learners, so you have no need to miss out on the sociable aspects (hey, you can have a beer while you type if you want to imagine yourself in a student union...). It also allows people to learn more at their own pace, and it doesn't exclude anyone with limited time in the day. There, that's my 'official' side coming out, I used to deal with that kind of learning as my job.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:24 PM   #9
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

I'm too much in love with the campus lifestyle. Besides, if I had to study online I'd get distracted by the Barrowdowns.

As for The Young Ones, I'm used to being Neil, it being one of my names and all.

*Note: The Young Ones is not entirely representative of British Student Life.

Last edited by Eomer of the Rohirrim; 09-11-2005 at 01:25 PM. Reason: to swap 'd' for 'g' - twice! (seriously, I'm that bad)
Eomer of the Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 12:43 PM   #10
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I am quite tempted by this - it would be more interesting than last year's Certificate in computerised payroll ( admittedly this is not a challenging criteria and I think I have all the books.) But is my brain up to such exertion? And I used to have Neil style hair....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 09-14-2005 at 12:53 PM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 12:51 PM   #11
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ahhh. The second part of the course, the Northern European Mythology one, is especially droolworthy...

I agree, a physical course would be better still. Perhaps we should all just roll up to the Open University and try an Anglo-Saxon Norse and Celtic course...though I think perhaps only Cambridge offers it...

No time at all, naturally, what with 6 AS levels and writing to keep up...
Old 09-14-2005, 12:57 PM   #12
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
Ahhh. The second part of the course, the Northern European Mythology one, is especially droolworthy...

I agree, a physical course would be better still. Perhaps we should all just roll up to the Open University and try an Anglo-Saxon Norse and Celtic course...though I think perhaps only Cambridge offers it...

No time at all, naturally, what with 6 AS levels and writing to keep up...
Cambridge? What is this Cambridge place? Is there a university there?
Open University is a lot more expensive. I looked at one of their post-grad courses but it was more thousands than hundreds....

Old 09-14-2005, 01:10 PM   #13
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Well, naturally as a dweller of the Oxenford, I refuse to believe Cambridge is any more than a small depressing grey town with a Roundhead Civil War record, but some conspiracy theorists have suggested that an occasional Cambridgian has been known to be literate...

My sister's profound attitude on this question is "Oxford has bigger and better parties!"
Old 09-14-2005, 01:43 PM   #14
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Yes... parties.. harder with an online course .. and punting might be a problem too.. Aieee we sound more "Footlights College" even so than "Scumbag"-Rah rah rah! We're going to smash the oiks!

Old 10-20-2005, 07:08 AM   #15
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well, any UK based prospective University students might do well to consider English at Leeds. I'm working with a graduate from there who tells me that Tolkien is a major area of study there. Wonders will never cease - an English University that considers Tolkien serious enough to study! Not only that, but fellow students wrote whole dissertations on Tolkien.

Looking on their website, the following modules are available:

One which includes LotR as a required text, and Shippey as further reading:Romance, Ballad and Fairy Tale

Three other Tolkien-friendly courses are also available:
Arthurian Legend: Chivalry and Violence
Beowulf
Old Norse Mythology

Of course, both Tolkien and Shippey taught here, so there must be a considerable influence due to their scholarship; but back in 1989 they did not offer this range of courses.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:59 AM   #16
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Toot Toot, sounds Fordim's horn in the distance, Toot Toot

I taught a non-credit course on Tolkien a few years ago -- if you would like I could run it again as an online course, for Downers only. I mean, really, let's face it, you all really could learn a lot from me. And wouldn't it be great to sit at your computer screen in rapt attention for hour after hour of Professor Fordim telling you about Tolkien and LotR and resolving all your questions about it? Oh, but I forget, you already have that luxury...

Creeping back to my barrow now. Please, do not throw objects either too heavy or too sharp.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:16 AM   #17
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
1420!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle
Toot Toot, sounds Fordim's horn in the distance, Toot Toot

I taught a non-credit course on Tolkien a few years ago -- if you would like I could run it again as an online course, for Downers only. I mean, really, let's face it, you all really could learn a lot from me. And wouldn't it be great to sit at your computer screen in rapt attention for hour after hour of Professor Fordim telling you about Tolkien and LotR and resolving all your questions about it? Oh, but I forget, you already have that luxury...

Creeping back to my barrow now. Please, do not throw objects either too heavy or too sharp.
Sounds like your Barrow Downs Dream , Fordim. However, given the attitude of some of our Downers, I would hope that none of your students in their misery over your 1500 word assignment on "Canonicity and Forgiveness: Primary and Secondary World Creation" would think of--as they have of their other professors and assignments--assigning you to Mordor .
Old 10-20-2005, 11:28 AM   #18
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I think the most fitting punishment would be to take him up on his offer.....

I am seriously considering the welsh one if it is not too late but his would save me Ł60 ...

Old 08-23-2006, 10:54 AM   #19
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
There's another course offered by Cardiff this year: Exploring Tolkien: There and Back Again

If anyone takes it, please do post to let us know about your experience!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:38 PM   #20
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
I made half of my mind to take it, but I grudge them Ł121.50. Not that I'm that kind of a skinflint, but I already own (and have read, that is) all their reading suggestions but one, and hesitate for fear the whole course would turn out to be of the 'nothing new for me' kind... still more 100 odd pounds in UK and down my way are quite different sums (buying power differences, you see)...

Besides, there is following funny note to make me wary:

Quote:
Please note there is a possibility that the course will not run if there are inadequate enrolments, please bear this is mind when purchasing books
What happens to Mr. McDuck's investment than?

But if I do make another half up after all, I'll share the experience, o'course

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote