The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-25-2003, 08:39 PM   #1
TheSquireof Aragorn
Animated Skeleton

TheSquireof Aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Why are people so critical of PJ?

Going on what I've seen, the majority of people on this message board are quite critical of Peter Jackson. I think people should should give him a break, sure he left some things out or changed things, but it wasn't his goal to appeal to only Tolkien fans, he had to make LOTR appeal to the average person. I just think people should take it a bit easier on him.
Old 12-25-2003, 08:59 PM   #2
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Well, that's pretty much what you'll get on a Tolkien site like this one. I for one that that the movies were fasinating & I commend him for doing them, but everyone will say that, so I (we) like to touch on irks we had . Besides, most peole just feel like things could've been done a lot better in spots (certainly me included), but that's just my opinion.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 09:45 PM   #3
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Going on what I've seen, the majority of people on this message board are quite critical of Peter Jackson. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually, that's not the impression I had when I read over the thread where people put down their general comments. Many posters, I would say the majority, are quite positive about RotK. Then they went on to list what impressed them the most and the things they'd like to see changed. I've seen RotK several times now, and found it emotionally gripping. But that doesn't mean that there aren't points where my preferences and PJ's are not the same.<P>I think PJ would have understood this. He never claimed that his movies had the same standing as the books:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> "You shouldn't think of these movies as being The Lord of the Rings. The Lord of the Rings is, and always will be, a wonderful book, one of the greatest ever written. Any films will only ever be an interpretation of the book. In this case my interpretation" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Some folk like PJ's interpretation and others don't. And, from the tone of the above quote, I imagine PJ wouldn't be shocked at that. And even some of us who liked the movies overall have little or big things that we'd like to have seen handled differently. That kind of positive disagreement is the heart of this board. So I wouldn't worry too much about the discussion and criticism. It's just part of the normal discussion.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:45 PM   #4
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Question

I guess some people are just a little to hard to please. I don't mean to offend anyone, but I don't think many people realized what an amazing effort it was to get the film as near-perfect as it is today. I don't think anyone else here could do 1/99 as good of a job with the movie, and I don't think anyone realizes the problems to overcome in film making today, as far as adapting a popular book series like this without cutting too many corners.<P>I think we should be grateful that the movies are as awesome as they are. And I think they are simply spectacularly awesome!!
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 12:49 AM   #5
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well I think it is just because we really want these films to be the best they can possibly be. We understand that they have to appeal to all audiences, and that they can't have everything that the books contain, but most of us have read the books, and we want them to have all the things that we personally think they should have. I don't know, but it is just hard to explain. I don’t have a problem with Peter Jackson, and I do think that he did a pretty good job on the films.<P>I also think that maybe some of the opinions you find on this site are because it tends to be a very book related forum, most of the members are primarily book fans (I don’t want people to get mad at me, I know that not everyone is that way. We have all types of people here. This is just what I notice). Who (well the people who were here before the films were released) were not exactly comfortable with the idea of their favorite novels being turned into films. But then again I do have to say that many of the opinions have not been as critical of Peter Jackson as I have seen on other sites.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:02 AM   #6
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Going on what I've seen, the majority of people on this message board are quite critical of Peter Jackson.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Its true that people can have their own opinions, but i aree, there is a lot of critical analysis. But id have to say that im a PJ fan, i really appreciate his work even if they do stary a little in parts from the book.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 01:19 PM   #7
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I think Jackson has done a tremendous job and he has my respect.<P>However, I do find some things quite strange about his movies. For example, the scenes of the Middle-earth landscape and the activation of Gollum was amazing, as were so many other aspects of the movies.<P>But he brings the movies down quite a bit (and the splendid aspects of the movies do not deserve these burdens) by letting in some ridiculous scenes, such as 'Aragorn-falls-off-cliff' and 'Denethor-jumps-off-city'<P>Bits of the book that really don't need to be altered have been altered, and this is why Jackson gets stick. Let's be honest, the guy was going to get criticism anyway because the project was so massive.
Old 12-27-2003, 05:16 PM   #8
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I used to be one of those die-hard book fans who nearly turned Denethor-ish at the mention of movies. But now, I realized that each person brings something of their own when they interpret something. PJ's always loved blood, gore, horror, and action. It's just a part of him. It would be ridiculous for us to expect him not to let that seep into his interpretation of LotR. And honestly, does it detract from the movie? Can you honestly say that you weren't amused (after being horrified) when Roc was decapitated in The Two Towers by Ugluk? Can you honestly say that you didn't laugh (externally or internally) when Denethor pulled his Olympic-worthy dive off of the Citadel? No. Deep down inside, we love it, just as we love most of PJ's "changes." They bring a new, bright, color to the story.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote