The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-25-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Hobbits

Where did Tolkien get the idea for Hobbits? To clear things up I am referring to the race and not the book. I have heard many different theories about this but I have no idea which one is true. One is that it is a combination of the word Human and Rabbit, that he wanted to make a hybrid creature between the two and a Hobbit is what he came up with. Another is that the word Hobbit just popped into his head and he then had a dream about what it was. I do not believe either of those and those are the two I have heard the most. Any ideas on where the idea for this race came from?
Hakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

Apparently he was marking exam scripts and just randomly wrote 'In a hole in the ground there lived a Hobbit' the word seems to have caught his fancy so he had to go back and invent the story.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I studied this for a speech i had to give in class a few years back-

hobbit... hol-bytal hole dweller in old english same with middle earth comes from the old english name of europe.

now the rsce themselves like their descriptions apparently is taken from another children's story.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:53 PM   #4
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
So the phrase "In a hole in the ground there lived a Hobbit..." would be a bit of word play. In a hole in the ground there lived one who lives in holes in the ground...

I recall reading that in the late 19th or very early 20h Century there was a book about a diminutive people that was very popular among children. Some have suggested that this book may have inspired or prompted Tolkien's outline of what a Hobbit was.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:58 AM   #5
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
I remember a literary theory--forgot the name though--which says that influence studies is quite an absurdly difficult task... to ask how this author thought about that concept is almost impossible, even if that author admitted, in writing or orally, about his possible "influences."

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:48 AM   #6
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
There was this little exchange on Futurama which might shed some light on the problem

``Is that a hobbit over there?'' followed by, ``No, that's a hobo and a rabbit. But they're making a hobbit,''
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:30 AM   #7
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Denham Tracts.

According to John Rateliff's Book The History of The Hobbit, Return to Bag-end, the word Hobbit is included in a list published by The Folklore Society between 1846 and 1895. There is however no proof that Tolkien ever read any of the said articles.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:10 AM   #8
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark
hobbit... hol-bytal hole dweller in old english same with middle earth comes from the old english name of europe.
Holbytla is not an Old English word however, it's a word Tolkien ultimately made up out of Old English elements, to help with his notion of translation.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:32 AM   #9
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
sorry thats what I meant its like a conjunction
Old 05-26-2009, 10:21 PM   #10
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I see. It sounds like he just kind of came up with hobbits, not like he intended to create a race and put hours of work into it. To me that is amazing. So many writers spend too much time on creating or trying to create a race of some sort.
Hakon is offline   Reply With Quote