The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-22-2003, 10:41 PM   #1
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Sting the path of the ring

i was thinking, why did Gandalf lead the fellowship trhough Rohan? why not trhough Gondor? or by boat and along the sea... also whould it be possible if Frodo just took the ring and sailed too Valinor, what would happen then? this wondering thought is annoying me big time
Old 12-23-2003, 02:28 AM   #2
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gandalf did not lead the Fellowship through Rohan. He died in Moria. From Lothlorien, the Fellowship headed down the Anduin. After the death of Boromir, Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli followed the orcs carrying Merry and Pippin, unintentionally entering Rohan.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:48 AM   #3
Earendilyon
Wight

Earendilyon has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
also whould it be possible if Frodo just took the ring and sailed too Valinor, what would happen then?
The Valar would not accept it, even if Frodo had reached Valinor (which was very unlikely, since only Elves could enter the Hidden Realm. I don't think Cirdan would lent him one of his ships and crews.) I think Gandalf says something like that in the Council of Elrond. The One Ring was the problem of ME; the peoples there had to deal with it. The one thing the Valar did do to help was sending the Istari.

Dominus Anulorum

TolkienGateway - large Tolkien encyclopedia.
Earendilyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 11:09 AM   #4
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Sting

Legolas, i know where the ring went, but remember Gandalf didn't want to go to Moria, he was forced too when all other roads were closed
Old 12-23-2003, 11:24 AM   #5
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Legolas, i know where the ring went,
I didn't say anything about where the Ring went.

Quote:
'Further south there are no passes, till one comes to the Gap of Rohan. I do not trust that way since your news of Saruman. Who knows which side now the marshals of the Horse-lords serve?'
Aragorn is the only one to mention the Gap of Rohan, and he does so in a negative way. Gandalf didn't want to go to Rohan either. The Gap of Rohan was too close. Gandalf wanted to go over/through the mountains. You said Gandalf lead them through Rohan, and he clearly didn't, nor did he intend to that we know of. Frodo taking the Ring around the coast would've taken far too long. The path they went was the shortest and only way the journey could succeed.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 12:29 PM December 23, 2003: Message edited by: Legolas ]
Old 12-23-2003, 11:32 AM   #6
slapstick

Sting

does anyone know the names and order of the four other wizards, Radagast the Brown was mentioned, though the names of the others were not.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:39 AM   #7
Tar-Alcarin
Wight

Tar-Alcarin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
does anyone know the names and order of the four other wizards, Radagast the Brown was mentioned, though the names of the others were not
There are many topics like this one, too many to count actually. Do a search and get some answers.

Back to the topic. Gandalf must have known that if the ring went through Gondor that Denethor would be corrupted by it. He would have wielded it in vengence of Boromir and fear that Minas Tirith would have fallen. But then again, if Gandalf hadnt have fallen, Boromir might not have died. Right?
All in all, this is an opened ended question full of "What Ifs" We will never know for sure because this stuff never really happened and (Quote Morpeheus For Matrix:Reloaded
Quote:
:"What happened happened and couldnt have happened any other way"
Lets wait for Finwe to answer this. Then we will be enlightened.
[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 12:40 PM December 23, 2003: Message edited by: Tar-Alcarin ]
Old 12-23-2003, 02:10 PM   #8
neo_geo

Sting

Quote:
remember Gandalf didn't want to go to Moria, he was forced too when all other roads were closed
IIRC, the movie is different than the book in this respect. It was Aragorn who did not wish to enter Moria untill all other paths were attempted.
(I could be wrong about this...but that is what I remember in the book)
Old 12-23-2003, 02:15 PM   #9
HaldirHD

Sting

As Frodo said to Sam on their way to Mordor. "Gandalf did not mean for a lot of things to happen."
Old 12-23-2003, 02:28 PM   #10
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

The path that the Ring was taken on was taken on through necessity. Necessity changes along with circumstances. Had Gandalf been alive, then I think that the Fellowship would have split up even quicker. Boromir and Gandalf would have repeatedly clashed over the path that the Ringbearer would take. Both Gandalf and Aragorn knew Denethor, and also knew that he would take the Ring at the first opportunity, and become corrupted by it. However, there is also the possibility that Gandalf could "see through" Boromir, and realize that Denethor was just using him to get to the Ring. Once Boromir became convinced of that, then perhaps things would go differently. At most, the Three Hunters would have become the Four Hunters (with the addition of Gandalf) or perhaps the Five Hunters (with the addition of both Gandalf and Boromir) but Merry and Pippin would have still probably been captured, and Frodo and Sam would have still gone their separate way.

Like I said before, necessity changes with circumstances. Since the survival of Gandalf would have definitely changed the circumstances that the Fellowship had to submit to, their needs would have also changed. They would have had to face different dangers, and different problems. The path that the Ring would be taken on would have been changed, depending on the changing circumstances.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote