The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-16-2006, 07:24 PM   #1
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Tolkien's Cameo

If Tolkien was around when Jackson's LOTR movies were made, what person do you feel Tolkien would have played in a cameo role had he been asked to do so? I thought it would be a fun thing to speculate on.

Note 1: Please supply a reason as to why you feel Tolkien would have played a particular cameo role in the movie...this way we get a discussion going and not just people listing names like a survey.

Note 2: This thread is not for any discussion about what Tolkien would have felt about Jackson's movies or movies being made from his books at all. It's Simply to have some fun speculating what cameo role would have suited Tolkien do you think?
Old 09-17-2006, 04:08 PM   #2
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
If it was a cameo then I think maybe Gaffer Gamgee would be the best. Tolkien classed himself as a hobbit, and I think something down to earth would suit him best.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:35 PM   #3
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by narfforc
If it was a cameo then I think maybe Gaffer Gamgee would be the best. Tolkien classed himself as a hobbit, and I think something down to earth would suit him best.
You took the words from my mouth!

But it might be quite believable to see the prof in the role of Bilbo too. At least that is the person I think he actually related to; the teller of tales, the one who dared to break free from the tradition around him which he himself in the end didn't do or had no chance to. I mean a romantic mind always longs for a situation where s/he would have a place to make a decision and besides WWI, Tolkien had no such choises (and going to the war was not openly his choise either if I recollect the facts right).

But surely this is obvious.

Maybe he would have been a good Ent? You know the picture of him sitting between the roots of a giant tree. A good Ent he would have made!

Last edited by Nogrod; 09-17-2006 at 04:40 PM.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 06:32 PM   #4
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Given Jackson's penchant for multiple cameos, why limit the prof to just one? The (book) Gaffer is perfect, of course, but why not Nazgul #7, Helm's Deep Grandfather, Army of the Dead Footman, and Easterling Mystic to boot?
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:56 PM   #5
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
White Tree

For what it's worth, MovieFrodo was dressed in something similar to what Tolkien wore on the cover of one of the biographies. The long coat, the vest.

So if we allow for multiple cameos (per Mr. Underhill) -- how about at least one per culture?

Gaffer Gamgee
Old Man Willow AND Tom Bombadil
Barliman Butterbur
Radagast
(all right, can't imagine him as an elf in Rivendell-- How about he plays Gloin?)
Balin, in flashback
.....Haldir???
Definitely one of the Argonath.
As Underhill says-- Elderly Rohirric fellow at Helm's Deep-- or, Erkenbrand, maybe?
One of the King statues in Denethor's hall
Ghan Buri Ghan
The linguist-herbalist at the houses of healing, that Aragorn sends packing
Old 09-17-2006, 08:43 PM   #6
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
White Tree

I don't see why we can't discuss multiple possibilities, love the discussion so far.

Gaffer Gamgee is a good one. Tolkien identified himself as a Hobbit, and also like Bilbo. I don't know if he would accept any of the Sackville-Baginses, nor Ted Sandyman, perhaps Odo Proudfoot?

mark, hey as found out by the Tolkien society, Tom's two other names (Forn and Orald) is the anagram...For Ronald.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:26 AM   #7
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
mark, your choice of the linguist-herbalist is utterly inspired.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:39 AM   #8
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
Maybe he would have been a good Ent? You know the picture of him sitting between the roots of a giant tree. A good Ent he would have made!
Indeed! He loved trees.

What about Gamling?

But we should also take into consideration that how old Tolkien would be.

A young Tolkien would do for any Gondorian minor character. Dúilin or Derufin? Some other lord? I'd prefer to see young Tolkien (though maybe older one than in the picture) as Beregond.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:02 AM   #9
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

White Tree

Quote:
He may have done one of their voice overs, instead of John Rhys-Davies getting stuck with the task and trying to sound in anyway different from Gimli. Davies has a good voice, but I just couldn't get any picture of Treebeard at all, as I kept thinking, that's Gimli doing the voice!
Old 09-22-2006, 12:27 AM   #10
Flame_of_Udûn
Pile O'Bones

Flame_of_Udûn has just left Hobbiton.
Gaffer was my first thought. However, seeing Tolkien as Gothmog (AKA Pink Marshmellow) would be quite interesting
Flame_of_Udûn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 06:57 PM   #11
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Excellent idea for a topic, Laconic Loreman!

Quote:
This thread is not for any discussion about what Tolkien would have felt about Jackson's movies
Must... bite... tongue... ow!

I concur that the master would most suitably have played a hobbit. I vote for Daddy Twofoot, chatting with Gaffer Gamgee in the pub scene in A Long Expected Party. I know that scene didn't make it into the movie, but well we're talking hypothetically, aren't we?

And for the record, I don't believe in multiple cameos... mutter, mutter... PJ... grumble...

BTW, I love the idea of immortalising Tolkien as one of the statues in Denethor's hall!
doug*platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:24 PM   #12
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I think Tolkien would have been Gaffer Gamgee, Old Man Willow or Tom Bombadil. Or any hobbit for that matter.