The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-06-2002, 06:39 PM   #1
Bill the Horse

Tolkien Poor Bill

Everyone likes Frodo, Legolas, etc., but poor Bill the devoted Horse has no following!! All the other characters have fansites and groups, but not good old Bill [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] . Well, enough is enough!! Bill now has a fansite and group!!
http://www.geocities.com/billthehorse2000/

You can get into Bill's group site by clicking on the little Bill picture at the bottom of the fansite!! It's all very new and still under construction, but support thy loyal horse!!

And now for a question...who else do you feel is a character that is somewhat overlooked in Lotr??? Thanks for listening [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] !

[ December 06, 2002: Message edited by: Bill the Horse ]
Old 12-06-2002, 07:08 PM   #2
Saurannûn the Wood Elf
Haunting Spirit

Saurannûn the Wood Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Saurannûn the Wood Elf
Sting

Well my dear Bill, there already IS an underappreciated character thread in Middle Earth Mayhem if you want to go THERE, but just for conversation's sake, I think Fatty Bolger was underappreciated too!
Old 12-06-2002, 07:15 PM   #3
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadel Vinorel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Tolkien

I think that Haldir of Lothlorien is a slightly underappreciated character as well. He did save the Fellowship from orcs in Lothlorien, for goodness's sake!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

By the way, welcome to the Barrowdowns, Bill the Horse!! May your rest be long and peaceful!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ December 06, 2002: Message edited by: Galadel Vinorel ]
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Galadel Vinorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 01:51 AM   #4
Bill the Horse

Tolkien

Thank you so much for your warm welcome Galadel Vinorel...it was very kind of you!! And also thanks to you and Saurannun the Wood Elf for your replies!!! I think I shall enjoy my stay at Barrow-Downs! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2002, 02:01 AM   #5
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I am sure that Samwise will love that you are here!
Hullo and welcome, Bill!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 03:49 AM   #6
Túroch
Wight

Túroch has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Don't jump down my throught here but isn't Bill technically a pony and not a horse. He is under 14.2 hands and his refered to as a pony everywhere. I mean no disrespect, Bill is in fact a great (and often under appreciated) part of the fellowship.
For the valour of the Edain the Elves shall ever remember as the ages lengthen, marvelling that they gave life so freely of which thay had on earth so little. But it is not for thy valour only that I send thee, but to bring into the world a hope beyond thy sight, and a light that shall pierce the darkness." Ulmo - Lord of waters
Túroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 07:45 AM   #7
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Yes, Haldir was very much under-represented, although I can forgive that since he has only a minor role in the books. And I suppose Legolas was also, given that we know very little about him, background-wise.

I'm really not too fussed about Bill. Although a support group to raise the awareness of horses and ponies throughout Middle-earth, and have their sterling efforts in the battles and quests duly rewarded would surely be much appreciated.

Last edited by Meela; 11-26-2004 at 01:05 PM.
Meela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 09:46 AM   #8
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Cherie Centaur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, Meela, I believe that Legolas' past is an enigma in the books and the movie. In fact, most of the Elves' origens are unknown. I think the only ones that do are Elrond, Galadriel(who both have rings),and Arwen( who is Aragorn's love intrest).
Old 12-09-2002, 07:38 PM   #9
Nieninque
Haunting Spirit

Nieninque has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
. and i suppose legolas in a way... as he wasnt given a background, etc... i dunno if anyone agrees with that...
I forget where I read this, but Tolkien said that Legolas was his least favorite character. Poor Legolas! I think he's forgotten a lot too... he's the Prince of freaking Mirkwood, but he doesn't get much screentime in FotR, nor much 'pagetime' in FotR either. He, of course, is more important in TTT, but... he could have played a more prominent role, being the only elf in the Fellowhsip... *sobs for Legolas*
Nieninque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 09:44 PM   #10
Furry-footed Flatfoot the Hobbit
Pile O'Bones

Furry-footed Flatfoot the Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Yes, Bill is underappreciated and overlooked! But poor old Furry-footed Flatfoot the Hobbit that lived in the Shire was SO much more overlooked that Tolkien forgot to even put the poor hobbit in his book....LOL
Old 12-09-2002, 11:03 PM   #11
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Question

Hey, what about Diamond and Estella? Rose got all this attention in the last two chapters, but Diamond and Estella just got a couple nods in the Appendix. Humph. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-10-2002, 12:30 AM   #12
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

POOR BILL THE PONY!!! Poor Bill the stinking, scrawny pony, INDEED! What about the original Bill? Huh? What about that poor underrated, misunderstood, poorly written upstanding citizen of Bree that fed and bred that ungrateful piece of horse meat at the expense of house and hearth? And what thanks did he get for it? An apple between the eyes from an ungrateful little sot!

Phooey on your pony!
Old 12-10-2002, 12:50 AM   #13
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I second Diamond's nominations, ESPECIALLY for poor Estella Bolger. First she gets left out of the first few editions altogether (and to this day a lot of translations leave her out) and furthermore, although it's clear from context in the "Subsequent Events.." appendix that she and Merry had at least one child - is it ever named? Ohhh no. I'd like to nominate Merry and Estella Brandybuck's presumed offspring for this award as well [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].