View Single Post
Old 07-06-2020, 04:10 PM   #20
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
That Yes... my read is that Amarie said No to going into exile, after Finrod had already said Yes to it. If it's not that, it could be a reference to an earlier "Yes, I will marry you"? That would make sense, I think.
You merely cried No!, leaving* me forever with Yes. Letting me have Yes.

*Leaving not in the sense that she is leaving Finrod, but that she is leaving Yes with Finrod.

You know what?

The way I understood it, in her heart it would have been a Yes [to marriage] had Finrod not left with the rest. She speaks No, but leaves him a sense of a Yes that could have been. That goes in keeping with his last verse, where he apologizes for demanding an answer.

But! I made myself see it from your perspective, and there it could be turned to: you left to me the option of "yes" [to Exile]. That took some convincing, but I admit my brain was heavily biased in favour of the first explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hS
Similarly, I think the Old Quarrel is the Melkor/Manwe/Feanor squabble. That's what led to the Exile, after all. Finrod is saying either 'if they'd not fought', or perhaps 'if I'd not picked sides'. Maybe it refers back to the Oath, and foreshadows its awakening?
That's my issue with the Russian line, it is so vague. You could honestly make it into anything and it would not contradict their text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hS
My main problem with my original version is that 'time and Sea fled' rhyme with 'yes'. If I could fix that one line, I think I'd be happy with it.
Hmm...

Between us now, time and Sea stretch.

Between us now, time and Sea crests.

'Tween us time and Sea weave their tress.

If Time doesn't fit, Distance would also do the trick (the lyrics actually say distance and water, but time works so well here).