View Single Post
Old 01-02-2009, 06:24 PM   #41
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post

Meh...I just watched 'The Big Sleep' with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall. It seemed to me the various characters smoked more in that one movie (made in 1946) than in all movies made since 1980. Okay, I'm exaggerating, but as a smoker, even I was appalled at the amount of times Bogie and Bacall lit up -- a far cry from any movie in the past several decades. Honestly, I can't recall smoking so pronounced in any film within recent memory (save perhaps Lord of the Rings).
Never seen it but given it's Bogey and Bacall, you've got me predicting just what activities preceded the smoking. Which has nothing to do with smoking in LotR of course.

Quote:
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
And as a European, you are probably also overlooking American views of art, drama, tv, movies and the imagination. They are mired in a realism--and a legal industry--that for Europeans would be laughable.
Just what is the American views of art, drama, tv, movies and the imagination? Being an American, I am curious as to just what my opinions are. I am sure a European can explain myself to me.
davem has of course stepped into the breech and freed me of any need to reply, so I won't. Except to say . . .

You've got me there. I could hardly explain just what the American views of etc would be, a One Ring America so to speak. I was referring merely to American views without the definite article, of which there can be several--a sort of Three Ring circus if you will--some of which obviously can be your own, which I would not endeavour to explain to yourself as I have not explained them to myself, being as yet unaware of them, never having yet discussed American films with you.

I do recall, however, a litigitious American court case in which a manufacturer of ladders was found negligent for having, despite umpteen signs and stickers on its products relating to the safe use of said products, failed to post a sticker advising new owners not to place said product in a pile of animal manure and then climb upon it, as under the heat of the sun the footing could be warmed, causing the ladder to become unstable, leading the Litigator, who had fallen into the pile under just such a warming influence, to initiate and win said court case against the Litigatee. The business end of Hollywood is undoubtedly very aware of such a victory and is, I would suggest, covering itself with such disclaimers. From my perspective, European movies are not produced in such a barnyard.