View Single Post
Old 08-07-2020, 07:38 PM   #209
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The (totally not) Last Chapter

I was gonna call this version final, but I think a more apt term is the Completed Version. It is still subject to edits - namely the finish and the "blip" chord, and anything else that comes up.

(Just to illustrate how ridiculous the length of this song is, I set it to record and went for a bathroom break. And a snack. Then cleaned the kitchen counters. Then did a mini-stretch. Then looked through a couple emails. And it was still going! I felt like I'm in that episode of Doctor Who where 11 tries to live Amy and Rory's normal life, gets bored out of his mind, and does a week's worth of chores in an hour...)

As it happens, all my roommates are out tonight, so I have the house to myself, which means singing galore! By the time it occurred to me to record I was nice and hoarse again. ^.^ I experimented with recording in Audacity, but I guess my computer has a bad microphone (which TBH I suspected before) - the quality is really awful. So it was back to the phone. I gave up trying to sing Finrod low, which means a lot of mouse-squeaking.

Singing the words from memory
Under the light of lamp and moon,
I sing the high-pitched melody
Raising a squeak to make the tune!

... It wasn't strength Finrod needed to raise, it was the high notes.

But singing this out loud brings another question. I re-accented Feanor to sound as FEY-a-nor. Should I do that with Sauron as well? In English I would also pronounce him with the stress on the first syllable.

NOW. I am REALLY excited about doing a different song next week - perhaps something slightly less existential for a change. So it's back to the question of what to do next. Was there anything you wanted to hear sung/played? Or anything you wanted to draw next? Or a character you wanted to reproduce in any form?

Here is what I will NOT do next.
- Anything with Sauron. Much as I'm tempted by Elves and Minions and Luthien, if I do him again without a break it won't go well.
- Prison Duet. I don't feel up to another existential crisis from Finrod quite yet.
- Meeting of Beren and Luthien. Long, and goes through a bunch of mood swings. Will save for later, when I restock my musical inspiration and energy a little. It will be super fun to sing when it gets done though!
- Luthien&Feanorians/Hatred, which kinda flows as one in my mind. Too long and too many characters involved. The next piece has to be something simpler. (Though on second thought if I do them separately they are both doable - and I can even hear what I want to do for Hatred when I get to that part).

Everything else is up for grabs! I have little inklings of ideas for a whole bunch of songs. Take your pick.

EDIT: also listened to Thingol and Melian again with computer speakers rather than earphones. Is it my speakers, or does my recording also go into the poor quality zone on all the higher notes? I don't think it sounded so bad with the earphones. Is the sound quality dirty on your end as well? That was recorded on my phone, in my car (the quietest place I could find where I also wouldn't be disturbing anyone). I could try some alternative arrangements, see if holding the phone differently or doing it indoors would help clean it up.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 08-07-2020 at 09:53 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote