View Single Post
Old 08-06-2020, 05:18 PM   #206
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Hmm. I really like the fact that this is an unforced error by Finrod - in my head Sauron cuts him off, but he doesn't! Finrod just falters. I think either silence or an explicit dischord would work; but if you like the current blip, I can work with it (it would take an "--ah!" quite nicely).
Well, yes, and I had an internal debate about that. See, the chord technically belongs to Sauron. But then when I put the flute's note, it sounded a bit like a string snap, and musically it was appealing to make it so - but you're right, content-wise it doesn't make sense for Finrod to stumble, that's not the reason he loses. So The chord has to return to Sauron. I tried a few experimental cuts (copy pasted the "I don't accept you --> cowards in the dark" section and played with the chord). The volume of the tune got messed up in the pasting, don't mind that, but the chord in question is fine, which is what matters. In order, the versions are:

1. What I have now: high and loud
2. High and soft
3. Low and loud
4. Low and soft
5. Absent - Finrod just goes silent

I think I actually like #4 better (at 0:55 on the recording) - except that it insists on playing the tuba note twice, which it's not supposed to do, but I can't remove the glitch, so pretend it's just a single looong chord. It's threateningly quiet, and very clearly Sauron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
Nothing else! Sauron's accompaniment being aggressively rhythmic is perfect for his part in the Music, and it's not like it keeps me from adding twiddles to the vocals if they seem suitable.

This is really good. I can't wait to fit it all together and just sit back for nearly 7 minutes of Duel of Song.
This is one of the things that kind of scares me. Like, how dare I try to replicate a Song of Power, forget about a Song of (mal)Creation? (Feeble imitation of Creation's first design - how can such as you hope to transcribe a single line? Aaaaah!) So I am very glad you like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
A draft recording. There's a few lines I know I need to change, but I'm also not sure on the timing of the crossovers. 'Yes!' and 'Answer me first' seem to fall strangely; where should they go?
Didn't see the edit when it came! But also probably wouldn't have been able to look at it anyways until now, today was a ridiculously busy day.

Your Sauron is really relishing the evil! ^.^ And when you get to the "guilty is your soul" stanza, it is downright scary. Holy smokes! And your timbre is perfect for Finrod. They are both very alive in my imagination as I am listening. I love it!

With regards to the timing:
- "Yes!" is exactly right. I thought I'd put the upgoing arpegio leading up to it as a cue after the slow-down. I guess it worked?
- "Only to destroy" is technically a smidge late but within the realm of artistic license - not sure if intentional
- "Answer me first": the way I hear it, it starts earlier and goes faster, so "first" falls on where you have "me". However, what you have sounds more deliberate, whereas my internal meter was more strictly rhythmic. I could actually slow down / drag out the notes to match your singing, because why not, we can do whatever to the music! "Why does your black etc" still starts on time, so it comes out to the same thing. The question is how fast / precise / rhythmic that phrase should go.

I don't think I have the energy today to revisit the ending, it will have to keep. Also, I am being distracted and wasting my remaining time by listening to "There is only one" onwards over and over again, it sounds amazing! (My new favourite sung line is now "that's fear that fills your heart". Perfect! )