View Single Post
Old 02-26-2004, 07:59 AM   #68
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
It is very much a US issue, and only surfaced once HP became internationally successful.
Well, it’s certainly not a British issue. We are probably the least religious country in the world right at this moment.

Quote:
Explain what belief or belief system you are talking about.
Click on the article linked to in this thread for an example of one of the more extreme reactions against LotR (and HP). Mind you, I agree with this Yusko guy on one point: if one is inclined to condemn HP on religious grounds, then one should condemn LotR too. Where I disagree with him is that I do not believe that either should be condemned. Indeed, this article is a very real example of the extremes to which one can go if one starts banning works on the basis of real or perceived contradictions with one’s belief system.

Quote:
On the other hand, no, neither elves nor even Valar seem supernatural at all … So, the argument is - whatever is inside nature, is natural, regardless its abilities of walking through walls or high speed travel or enchantment.
I was talking about “nature” in terms of the natural cycle (the Circle of Life – to put it in Lion King terms ). Immortal beings would certainly seem to be outside of nature in the sense of being outside this natural cycle of life.

Nevertheless, I agree, HI, that, if you define nature in the wider sense of the natural world of Arda, then nothing which exists within Arda can be considered supernatural. Then again, as you said earlier, the same argument can apply to the world of HP.