View Single Post
Old 09-27-2004, 03:37 PM   #4
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420! The importance of the Fellowship.

I have heard a few people ask on threads, what's the point of the fellowship, it breaks apart in the FOTR, and the "task," which was to help Frodo destroy the ring has been torn apart. Here's the way I think of it, you have this group of nine, good friends, and establish a good friendship with eachother. But, when the fellowship does break, it breaks into even smaller fellowships, but those fellowships carry a stronger friendship. You have Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli all develop a strong friendship. Sam was just a servant to Frodo before, and ends up being Frodo's best friends/most loyal companion. Then the friendship between Merry and Pippin grows. Also, and interesting one, Gandalf and Pippin, we see Gandalf scold Pippin a few times, but so many times Gandalf acts as that father figure to Pippin (as well as the other hobbits) but Pippin is the one that caught my eye. So, back to original point, you have a group of friends, called "The Fellowship," it breaks, but then it grows into a bunch of "smaller fellowships" yet the bonds between them are stronger.

I also think each member had a purpose for being there, I haven't figured out why all were placed there yet, but here's who I think I've figured out.

Gandalf-He acts as a guide towards the whole Fellowship, I sort of see him as that little voice on your shoulder, sure he dies and departs from the Fellowship in Moria, but even in his death he helps the Fellowship, by maybe past sayings that he said earlier. Or, even helping Frodo on Amon Sul, battling with Sauron when Frodo put on the ring.

Aragorn- The King, of course he will be in the Fellowship, his main task is to go to Minas Tirith and reinstall a King in Gondor, and to help Frodo for as long as he stays in the Fellowship.

Boromir- His sole purpose I believe was to show Frodo he needed to get away from the Fellowship. By him going crazy on Frodo, that showed Frodo the ring was tearing apart the Fellowship, and he needed to get out of there, before any other member turns into a "Boromir." Also, Boromir's strength helps out the Fellowship as well, I mean Aragorn can't carry 4 hobbits through the snow by himself. Gimli is too short, and Legolas just prances on top of the snow.

Frodo- simple to destroy the ring.

Sam- simple, to be a faithful companion of Frodo, and help him destroy the ring, and also watch out for that treachorous Gollum.

Merry- Without him in the Fellowship, he wouldn't have been in Minas Tirith to help slay the Witch-King, or "stir the ents" to fight Saruman. Eowyn wouldn't have beaten the WK without Merry's help, there's no doubt about that. Also, he arroused the Ents, now it didn't happen like it did in the movie, because the Ents were already ticked at Saruman, they just didn't have any reason to go to war, until Merry and Pippin roused them up.

Pippin- Reason mentioned above, "wakening" up the ents, and of course saving Faramir's life.

Gimli and Legolas I haven't quite figured out yet. Legolas, might have been chosen because maybe someone like a Glorfindel or one of Elrond's sons would have just been too powerful and might have been noticed sooner. Gimli, provides good axe skill, and good fighter, he clearly is one of the best fighters in the fellowship, because Aragorn is even impressed by Gimli's axe work.

Last edited by Boromir88; 09-27-2004 at 03:41 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote