View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 12:35 PM   #846
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Faramund

Why did everybody have to look at him that way? Did they not know that he saw their sidelong glances, comparing him to his father? Sometimes the looks held fear, other times disdain; often a mix of both.

"Stedford, bring in Wiglaf."

"Yes, lord." Stedford, his almbudsman, began to walk away.

"And make sure he stands on his own two feet. I don't want him leaning and mewling like he cannot take his stripes."

"Yes, lord."

Maybe he should contrive an accident and do away with the old man once and for all. That way these fools would not have the man alive with all his opinions and mouth-of-the-seer words, to drag in front of him. It was no good. The old man would say his say, and everybody would listen to him. How am I to lord this folk if he won't shut up?

A little voice inside said to him, Mayhap you should be a lord more like your father..

Faramund threw his knife across the room in a sudden rage. It skittered across the floor and stopped with a clatter against the far wall. He would lord over his land as he saw fit. It did not matter if his way was different than father's. This folk had better learn soon that it was his way or the law would wrest them of what was his by right. I'll show them.

Stedford walked the prisoner in front as they came into the lord's chamber. Wiglaf still had rope tying his ankles to each other; he could not walk a full step. His arms were still tied behind his back. He was a filthy, bloody mess. Serve him right.

"Wiglaf!" Faramund cried. "You owe me a bull and a mare! When will you pay?"

"I - I have naught with which to pay, lord. Please!"

"Find a way, fool!"

Wiglaf winced. "Lord, I c-cannot! I have naught!"

"Then you must pay with your life, mustn't you?"

Wiglaf's eyes went wide in sudden terror. "You cannot-"

"Nay, fool, I will not kill you. But I must be paid. All you have is your own skin and bones. You will be my bondsman until you can pay your debt, even if it takes you until your dying day. So be it! Stedford, take him out of here and clean him up, then put him to work."

"But lord!" cried Wiglaf. "I am a free man! I am an Eorling born and bred!" Now the fool was getting angry.

"It matters not. Pay and you are free. Until then, you are in bond. Stedford, get him out of my sight."

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 12-31-2010 at 11:55 AM.