View Single Post
Old 04-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #39
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Would the quickest escape route not be by boat? I am just guessing that they did not keep horses in Esgaroth. . .

Mac quite correctly points out that no body said that Smaug had to land on the bridge. The thing is that if he could slowly aproach the city via the bridge hos level of destruction would be much higher than attacking it from above. . . You grap a bow and arrow, stand up and shoot it at a dummy, then do the same while running around in circles, which one is easier?

The only way that Smaug would have had the same advantage attacking from the air, would have been if he had the flight ability as a helicopter and if he was equally vournrable from every angle.

That being said I think the burning of the bridge was written because it was simple war stradegy and we all know that Tolkien had some experience with this.

I am sorry if I have brought nothing new to this discustion.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote