View Single Post
Old 04-03-2008, 10:59 AM   #12
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron the White View Post
I agree that they responded in haste. I also think this is one of the glaring errors in the writing of this part of the tale.
Of course, being a knighted defender of the faithful, I see no error here (or anywhere). And the trouble those dwarves have caused on this forum.

Quote:
Lets approach this using a bit of common sense.

"Oh look a fire breathing dragon is attacking us from the air".

""Quick, destroy the only bridge that affords us a quick escape to the land"

Yup, now I see.
"Worms fly and walk. We cannot throw down the air, but can remove at least one avenue of attack."

"But what of escape?"

"Use your common sense, man! What good would it do for any number of us to run across the bridge to the land? Wouldn't that just be the biggest target for Smaug? Those that don't get cooked in the running surely will find their way into the belly of the worm when they make it to shore. Now make haste and scatter to the waters...it's the best chance you've got. Swim, or float as you may on some small support, but stay away from the larger boats as surely Smaug will smite them to ruin."

If that doesn't convince you, then I'll leave with the fact that the Master was not the best leader of men in times of trouble.

And regarding sense, the defenders use arrows against a foe that is immune to said attack (with one small exception), and yet they shot on, trying to do something. And as I see the bridge, not all of it is stationary - it floats a bit up and down with the ebb and flow of the water. For this middle section may be connected by strong rope, and to cut these with an axe would throw down the bridge quickly like so many gordian knots.