Thread: Reputations
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2004, 12:41 AM   #393
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
But the point is, what is it I rep for? - some post pleased me, one, and in return I want to please author of the post, two
It was too narrow a criterion, come to think of it. It happens (quite often) I do not merely 'approve of' of something as peer the author, but am awestruck and admire the post I rate as something better than what I myself would have been able of contriving, as an admirer (or worshipper not in direct, but in a good sense of that word).

Both attitudes are lawful, I suppose, but the latter helps to uproot one's arrogance - not a critic, but an appreciative reader.

The whole alarm system went off the instant I caught myself on two things - growing tendency of rating 'like peer' and instances of logging on to the fora with the purpose of checking if I've been rated lately, not with the purpose of checking what wonderfully new ideas were posted on the threads I'm interested in, and I grew afraid. So the whole rant above was for more or less my own sake, to bring my own self to sense, and carry those of you back who may have been in danger of catching the same malady

And it is funny how my 'alarm rant' is gaining me repute Not that I'm not pleased, but hence I'll try not to forget, and will remind myself now and again that the pleasure of approval is the secondary issue here, and the knowledge of truth (whatever that means) is what matters more.

The whole situation of having the posts debunking the system approved of by the system helps to clarify the issue - my most rated posts are precisely those in contriving which even the shade of thought about reputation haven't crossed my mind. And I suppose it follows the general pattern of all human activities. Can't help remembering C.S.Lewis here. My apologies for crumpled quote, I'm not sure it is exact, but it was something like:

Quote:
Pray in the morning in your garden, paying no heed to the beauty and dew and birds, and you'll come back wonderfully refreshed by the beauty of nature. Go to your garden with the purpose of experiencing feeling of wonder, and you will feel nothing nine times out of ten

it is to be found in 'Four Loves', if anyone has the book handy, be so kind to post the correct one, please
I hope I haven't mutiliated the quote beyond recognition. It really seems governing imperative for all things transient.

Or let us (or me, in the first place), remember that Gloria mundi always tends to transit. What will be the sic in the process, is of no significant consequence

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!