View Single Post
Old 08-14-2020, 07:28 PM   #221
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Progress Report

Today I set my goal to fill in the gaps in the music so that it's not a snatch here and a snatch there, and I'd be able to give you something to work with that way. Here is is: Lament up until the Death stanza. Looks like it's gonna be another 7 minuter. This one is my fault though, for including a 1:40 long intro - and that was abbreviated from what it could have been had I stuck to V1's beginning faithfully! Is this masochism? Maybe. But actually I really enjoyed doing the extra stuff, and the song itself is easier than the Duel. It doesn't have to be existentially earth-rendering, just pretty and only slightly thematic. So, that's the basics. Loyalty and Death both need to be reinforced a little, but the structure is there.

Points to discuss:
1. Should Galadriel sing low, as in V1, or high, as in V2? (sorry about the super bad quality!) I imagine LOTR Galadriel with a lower voice. However, if I am to be the one doing the singing, I feel more comfortable with the higher octave (as evidenced by my repeated failure to land the melody in the low version), and as a result I think it sounds better. But with practice I can get the lower octave to work as well.

2. Not sure I like the obnoxiously military trumpet just after "why was so appealing your prize". The Glory stanza might have to be updated.

3. I was gonna keep the refrains the same. But I couldn't have Finrod sing to trumpet just after it was accompanying Glory. So Finrod's lines were re-done and ended up quite "full" and elaborate. But I kept Galadriel's part unchanged - does it sound bare in comparison?

4. A question for the future: I like whichever version has Finrod and Galadriel sing the last part "But at the end of loss etc" together, rather than Galadriel alone. What do you think?

Seems like my computer was having none of it today. It kept recording its own notifications!

PS: I first saw your picture while at work, very briefly, and the details must not have registered. It only stuck me now that this is Finrod's Tol Sirion and Minas Tirith - or perhaps Tol-in-Gaurhoth! I would facepalm at myself if I wasn't so excited about all the little details pieced together.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 08-14-2020 at 07:33 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote