View Single Post
Old 11-24-2003, 06:26 PM   #35
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Anybody see "The Man from Snowy River"? That had a horse going down an incredibly steep hill and it was just about sitting on its haunches. The ride of Eomer's Eored must have been digital. No sane person would do that to a bunch of real horses for a movie these days. (In the "Charge of the Light Brigade" days, yes. Now, no.)<P>Silmiel, you're right. While watching TTTX I looked carefully at Sam's cloak, and it does have a hole in it. Good eye! I guess they did that so it would hang better, like the way the chain the Ring is on gets longer and shorter depending on the needs of the scene.<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The packs actually ARE under the Elvish cloaks. Woven into the fabric with the seemingly magical arts of the Elves is the ability of the cloak to take on the appearance of stone, or wood, or grass, or soil, or dirt, or backpacks...<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Gilthalion, you rock! <P>I don't find it weird that people pick on things in a fantasy movie. Suspension of disbelief is really important, *especially* in a fantasy movie where impossible things are happening all the time. Don't people love Tolkien because he made ME as realistic and internally consistent as possible? When one's belief is already stretched to the limit, it just takes one more little thing to completely jar one out of a happy belief state and into "waitaminute, THAT can't happen!"<P>Anyway, none of us claimed to be logical about the things that bother us. My friend and I were complaining about the wooden eye in Pirates of the Caribbean, to which my other friend replied: "Oh, right. You can accept that there is a CURSED SHIP CREWED BY THE DEAD, but you get upset because a wooden eye moves even though it has no muscles attached to it?!" Yup. <P>-Lily<p>[ 5:44 PM November 26, 2003: Message edited by: Lily Bracegirdle ]