View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
Draugohtar
Pile O'Bones

Draugohtar has just left Hobbiton.
I think it's important to state that the Istari are embodied Maiar, and thus independently powerful beings ie independent of whatever allegiance they choose to adopt.

Gandalf is still potent enough to slay the Balrog with a broken staff.

Rather the staffs appear to be badges of office, channels of power perhaps, but not particularly puissant gifts of the Valar. Galadriel furnishes Gandalf with his new staff post his return as Gandalf the White. Mightiest of the elves remaining in Middle Earth she may be, but I doubt her crafts match those of the Valar.

I think, rather, that Saruman is corrupted and spent as a force, further I would speculate that via the Palantir and his ensarement by Sauron, his own power became very much tied to that of Sauron and the one ring.

Gandalf, also, on their reunion is made significantly more powerful than he, effectively negating everything but his voice.

Thus I see Saruman as being in a steady decline of his own causing, the loss of his staff only symbolic of his casting out. His corruption and allegiance to Sauron reduce him, and once the one ring is destroyed, he is further cripped to his 'Sharkey' status.
Draugohtar is offline   Reply With Quote