View Single Post
Old 10-29-2000, 05:40 PM   #2
Saulotus
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saulotus has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wight
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: History of Middle Earth and Unfinished Tales

General note:
I think the 'clueless' part was a bit harsh, and seems to be aimed more at 'Tolkien scholars' as an insult than it is implied towards those who haven't read those particular materials mentioned.
I certainly never consider those who haven't read other materials as 'clueless', nor (I hope) do others.
Having read the works of Tolkien that I (and others who feel the same) love, and being given derision for such seems out-of-place, even when it 'appears' to be directed towards those who haven't read everything.
The slight as written; seemingly directed at new-comers to Tolkien, and those who have never read further than HOBBIT or LOTR, seems an overt degredation on attempts at new-membership.
I'm sure if I were new at Tolkien and visiting this board; I'd be slightly offended at someone labelling me 'clueless', and would leave for a less hostile and sarcastic board.

Personal note:
'I' came here (and stayed) because I saw the section on SILMARILLION canon studies, and assumed that a reasonable portion of members present (who are prevelant in other sections of discussion including the Trivia section; as the names are easily recognized) in the relevant discussion section had actually READ HISTORY (or why the attempt at the discussion on canon studies? Something like a person newly comprehending algebra attmpting quantum physics equations; as the case is becoming clear in the 'Have you read...' thread.)

Trivia question:
This trivia question directly qualifies for neither; but I saw no other place for it (however; in a sense, it requires some knowledge of Elvish languages gleaned from HISTORY so this is as applicable as anywhere I guess).

What language did the Elves of Mirkwood speak?

</p>
Saulotus is offline   Reply With Quote