View Single Post
Old 01-14-2006, 02:03 PM   #10
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
This chapter is so very full, and bittersweet! We know that we should be happy that the hobbits may now return home, but that happiness is dampened by having to take leave of all that supported them along the way, almost as if this chapter were a nod from Tolkien acknowledging the reader’s sense of loss at the close of a tale. I think of the finally of Gimli’s statement
Quote:
‘We will send word when we may, and some of us may yet meet at times; but I fear that we shall not all be gathered together ever again.’
It is like a speedy rewinding of the story. As we head back toward the Shire, many familiar names both of people and places are heard along the way, and the distance it took a goodly portion of FotR to cover, is now crossed in mere pages, with nary a Dunlending or wolf to worry them. Only Saruman, leaning on a staff, wearing dirty rags, a doglike Grima at his heels, is found on the road. Saruman has been brought low and his behavior reflects it. No fair voice beguile the listener, he is revealed for what he has become. The external appearance of the Maia matches his internal state and his conversation recalls what we have learned of orcs. I am reminded of how Sauron was once fair, but ultimately surrounded himself with these sorts of beings.

In this chapter we also hear Arwen speak, and she speaks very well, so that we better understand why the new king might have been anxious for the sign he sought in Minas Tirith.

We also have the words Gimli spoke to Eomer, that Alphaelin quoted earlier:

Quote:
“You have chosen the Evening, but my love is given to the Morning. And my heart forebodes that soon it will pass away forever.”
It is true. Galadriel belongs to another page of Middle-earth’s history. She and the brightness of her people would shine like the sunlight in their strength, and belong to the morning of Middle earth, but Arwen is a solitary evening star that shines unwavering when that brightness has, for the most part, passed into the west. There is such a contrast between Galadriel and Arwen, both in their coloring as well as in their ambitions, despite close kinship. But the strength of both seems evident, a shared trait.

We also have the curious words of Galadriel to Treebeard about the chances of meeting him again.

Quote:
Not in Middle-earth, nor until the lands that lie under the wave are lifted up again. Then in the willow-meads of Tasarinan we may meet in the Spring.
And Elrond’s disclosure of Bilbo’s impending journey.

It is interesting to note that the three rings of the elves, along with their bearers accompany Frodo a great distance before taking their leave. Gandalf, with his ring of fire, Narya, continues the longest with him, who in a respect has passed through fire.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote