View Single Post
Old 06-16-2020, 02:11 PM   #10
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post

As a child I found all the encounters with the Black Riders awesome, especially that famous first meeting and the scene at the Weathertop - and naturally the Mines of Moria were just cool. On the contrary, I just couldn't bear Tom Bombadil or Goldberry. They felt to me coming from a wrong story, they were kind of breaking the spell of the book, if one can use a very weird idiom here. Nowadays I do find Tom Bombadil a really intriguing character although I' still not a great fan of that "Ring a dong dillo!" -stuff.
They are out of place, and it annoys me that we never really get to know Goldberry.
And yes "ring a dong dillo" is a bit off putting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post

I guess Gandalf still is my number one favorite character. I mean many people think that the LotR is a story about Frodo and the Ring, but I'd say its as much, if not even more, a story about one of the Istari fighting Sauron on behalf of the Ainur.
I would say so. Gandalf is the one person that makes everything tick, and has a clear strategy for achieving his goals. Aragorn too I guess, but the rest are just along for the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
(TBC, it's getting late)
Please do continue. Yours was a fantastic post, and I think you manage quite brilliantly to find words that fit my own ideas, but that I had not actually articulated.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote