View Single Post
Old 11-19-2004, 06:15 PM   #23
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Huzzah! (as they say)

Hello all, and welcome to this new game. After a long while, I finally concocted it, by it is by no means mine. I enlisted the aid of as many of the Downs' finest writers that I could in a limited amount of time, and I consider this our game. I am merely a founder (concurrent with Bethberry's opinion of a proper title for Game Founders). Welcome all. I am happy to see that good things are already happening.

CaptainofDespair: Fantastic bio and post, really, and with so little to work from. Same to you, Arry, magnificent bio for the two Elves. I do not doubt that your post will be great as well. I will speak more of these at a later date. Gaeredhel, Rôsgollo, and Mitharan are all sure to be great contributions to this game, and I cannot wait to see them developed by such apt owners.

alak, Saurreg, I will feel your questions here, on the PT, considering that the answers might, and probably will benefit from them.

How many exits are there from the secondary battlements into the first sector of the city taken by the enemy? I know only of the main gate that is currently held by another elite regiment of the king.
Three, from the innermost sanctum. The main gate is the one most used, but there are two that are directed towards the east and west. The main gate faces south, towards the main entrance to the city, and there is a smaller entrance, accessed via passageway, that leads north, an escape route to the strongholds of the North Downs in the event of required evacuation. See my ~Note~ below for further information on this.

Are the main forces of the besiegers concentrated at this main gate to the secondary walls?
Yes, in short. The orcs of Angmar have just crowded into the second level of Fornost at the time of first posts, and are surging towards thr main gate to the inner sanctum, hindered by barricades and makeshift fences built in their way throughout the city by the fleeing defenders.

What is the strength of the rearguard?
If by strength you mean 'strength' in the military sense, then the rearguard is anywhere from 300-800 Dúnedain strong. It is less populated than a conventional unit because it is composed of more talented individuals, who are responsible for acting as the final defense of the city, covering retreats, and protecting the King himself. The Dúnedain in the rearguard are multi-skilled, some bowmen, swordsmen, spearmen, all expert riders, the elite of Fornost and of Arthedain.

Will anyone be carrying Arvedui? I'm sure the Emissary will have taken council with him?
Well, I'll be 'using' him, when appropriate, but he is a carry-along, really. He will not be present during much of the game, in the sense that he will not be involved with the cast of characters in it directly. He may be addressed at certain times. If you are referring to first posts, it would be more appropriate for your Elven Emissary not to be with the king. As addressed in my post, all the Elves are on the second level of Fornost, which has been breached. That is why the Dúnedain rearguard was dispatched into the city, to find them and keep them safe (bit of a slip-up on the part of Arvedui, not having the Elves take up residence in his court).

Also, how long have the Lindon elves been at Fornost? Do you have specific details here in mind, or may we have a bit of freedom with them (to a small extent)?
You have complete freedom on this. The Elves of Lindon have been conducting talks with Arvedui since his reign began and even before that, with his father Araphant. Your character can have newly come to Fornost, perhaps as a replacement for the last Emissary, or may have been there years, even decades, as an Elven couselor of the Arthedain King. Your choice.

~Note~ Of Fornost:

Fornost is a city highly reminiscent of Minas Tirith in Gondor. It is built on tiers, or levels, but three instead of seven. My post describes the three sanctums of Fornost. Each level is set above the next, the apex and highest point being the three towers of the King that spring from his halls. The key number of Fornost is 3, everything is in 3's: 3 gates to the inner sanctum, 3 walls, 3 towers, 3 tiers, etc. Use that fact to embelish. The city faces south, technically, and, the road leading into is straight, going right through each level as a ramp, unlike the winding road of Minas Tirith.

The architecture is Neo-Númenórean, built in the style of old Númenór, like the former capital of Arnor, Annúminas. It has been greatly damaged and parts of the city are derilict after battles and neglect, because of the War with Angmar. I want to leave as much as I can about Fornost up to you folks, though. Whatever area you're in, feel free to describe in detail. I don't want to seem stifling.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies

Last edited by Kransha; 11-20-2004 at 10:11 PM.