View Single Post
Old 10-08-2020, 05:02 PM   #18
monks
Animated Skeleton

monks is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
The two pictures which are the subject of my last post and the update to my essay from the new evidence found are left and right here:

http://www.thewindrose.net/mythopostupdate/

Which are both on the opposite sides of the same piece of paper.

What part of that don't you understand?

Hammond and Scull even tell us that Tolkien drew both of those images.

"Tolkien appears to have drawn the west-gate of the Mines of Moria first in faint pencil, with ornate doors, a flight of steps, and spiraled columns set into a hillside and flanked by two trees or large shrubs (fig 38). Then on the reverse side of the same sheet, he made a more refined version in coloured pencil (fig. 39), seen from a greater distance, with cliff walls much taller relative to the gate,..." [The Art of the Lord of the Rings, Hammond and Scull, p62]

lmao!

And while I'm here. The first page I turned to when the book (with this new evidence) came through the mail was p.69 here:

http://www.thewindrose.net/blogs/a-l...esentwined_1k/

And I've talked about the two spirals on the West Gate and elsewhere being the same symbol as the Two Trees from the wedding poem. Two trees 'utterly entwined' -go see etymology of entwine (Old English twin "double thread," from Proto-Germanic *twiznaz "double thread, twisted thread"). And there you see two trees entwining in the draft for the illustration of the West Gate which also ended up with the two spiraled columns in them. I'd never seen that illustration either because its not published anywhere else.

And for your information..just to keep you up to speed here...you can find the same motif, the same symbol in his illustration 'Tumble Hill near Lyme R'. I know that because I've also studied that picture too. The crossed trees are the Door, the megalithic Door, the Dagaz Rune. The path leading up to that in that image is the Straight Road. If you study the geography of Tumble Hill you'll find some more interesting things including Dragon's Hill and 'Devil's Bellows'...nothing to do with the bull in the Moria riddle at all of course heh...

bellow (v.)
early 14c., apparently from Old English bylgan "to bellow," from PIE root *bhel- (4) "to sound, roar." Originally of animals, especially cows and bulls; used of human beings since c. 1600. Related: Bellowed; bellowing. As a noun, "a loud, deep cry," from 1763.

And what's the sound made by the troll in the Chamber of Mazarbul? Bellow. The same chamber that has the Book of Maze-Ar(Sun)-bull in it with page 5 Looking awfully like the head of a bull.

monks
monks is offline   Reply With Quote